Feels like body wants to shut down, anxiety

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I've had depression since I was 9, and developed anxiety last year. I've had heart palpitations for a few years now. I've always been a hypochondriac. Last year a few days before Christmas, someone I knew died suddenly of pulmonary embolism. Days later I started to feel what are "symptoms" of it. Shortness of breath, chest tightness and pressure. So I went to ER, diagnosed with chest wall pain, though I didn't feel any pain, hadn't been coughing, etc. despite what they were telling me caused it. Took muscle relaxers and a pain med as instructed. No changes, slept a lot and anxiety increased. Back in different ER about 3 days later because I had leg pain, convinced it might have been blood clot, still couldn't breathe well. Had more blood work done, another EKG, CT scan, ultrasound in leg, they didn't find anything. Prescribed an albuterol inhaler for shortness of breath, couldn't get it because it cost $61. Have been trying meditation, calming teas, breathing exercises, generally trying to relax. Some days I still get chest tightness and the SOB is worse some days. I cannot get over my fear that maybe doctors missed something, or that I will stop breathing or that somehow something bad health related will happen. I'm terrified every day. Sometimes my hear races even when I'm anxious in that moment. And today I got the strangest feeling. It seems my whole body went weak and kind of numb, I felt faint, light headed and like I was going to pass out. I managed to run into my sister's room because I was scared and didn't want to beat alone if I did pass out. This happened while I was just sitting on my bed relaxing. I don't know what to do at this point and any help or advice would help, I hope.

0 likes, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

• Posted

How old are you? You meed to see your own doctor and tell them whats going on with you.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I turned 28 a couple months ago. I don't have a doctor, I live in the U.S. and can't afford any kind of medical insurance right now unfortunately. It's emergency room or nothing at this point.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

You may not have insurance, niether do I.  I went to my doctor and paid cash when the bill came.  I also did the same when it came to counseling.  How important to you is you health?  Going to see a doctor to rule out physicological ailments, thyroid disfunction possibly? There are low cost clinics in most major cities?  If diagnosed with anxiety, get counseling.  There are also low cost mental health clinic as well in major cities.  If you need to pay rent, make car payments, you get a job to pay bills right?  Be the part of the solution for what ails you.  Wish you peace!
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

i know how you feel ;( u just have to tell yourself YOU ARE OKAY when you start feeling the symptoms of anxiety coming on the brain gets scared and starts fueling more anxiety symptoms and its a never ending cycle rolleyes it sucks so much ik im alone right now and feel anxious also trying to wean off a stupid anti depressant which made me worse. its hard ik but we cant let anxiety win ;( just tell yourself its just feelings they cant hurt you❤
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Well you are making your anxiety worse by being your own doctor?  Did you consider switching to medications that may help?  Playing your own doctor and counselor is a dangerous game.  Just a warning many people of considered suicide for doing so. I can speak from self experience.
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up