Ferritin Levels

Posted , 7 users are following.

I’m just wondering whether my symptoms of tiredness and dizziness are anything to do with low iron. I’ve been anaemic on and off since my 20’s as I have heavy periods. My last blood tests show that my Hg level was normal (therefore not anaemic) but my ferritin was at 25. The ‘normal’ range for ferritin in 12-150 for a woman.  So I am deemed ‘normal’. A few doctors have suggested over the years I should get my levels to about 50.

Does anyone else have low ferritin and did your symptoms improve when you increased your ferritin levels?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Al...

I've had low ferritin levels in past but mine caused hair loss.

I'm currently experiencing same symptoms so trying to raise ferritin levels.

A trichologist discovered my low levels few years back but as you say doctors don't deem it low. They are low enough to cause hair loss etc..

Hope your symptoms improve soon x

• Posted

I know all about the hair loss, I’ve been unblocking the plug hole for years! Luckily mine seems to grow back. 
  • Posted

Ferritin of 50 is good but I heard 100 is optimal for women. Mine was 8. I started taking iron supplements which did alleviate some of my symptoms but it also made my cholesterol jump from 163 to 248!! Someone on here told me that’s why you aren’t supposed to take iron. Not sure what the answer is, maybe try upping iron with iron rich foods? Cook with iron pan? 
    • Posted

I’ve had mine down at 7 and was able to increase it up to 36. But that took a good 4 months.

Interesting. I’ve never heard of iron supplements effecting cholesterol. I’ve been taking iron on and off for 20 years, and my cholesterol has always been good. 

I also get a full blood count, liver function, cholesterol, kidney function etc etc..Before I start taking iron just to make sure I’m not going to do any damage.  The dr’s always tell me “ you will never take too much iron”....probably because the realise my readings are actually low and I’m never going to reach the high end of that ‘normal’ range.

• Posted

Hi Al, I too have had quite severe anaemia caused by extremely heavy periods since aged 8. I have had iron supplements a couple of times but usually I consume enough iron in my diet to rectify any deficiency. The symptoms you are describing are more like vertigo which is also a common symptom of peri and menopause and causes dizziness and headaches often accompanied by tinitus aswell. I get bad vertigo attacks quite regularly. The dr gives me a pill to relieve the vertigo which helps alot. Hope this helps you XXX
    • Posted

Hi Tina, can you let me know what your doc prescribed for dizziness?

Thank you xx

• Posted

Sure I can hun. It is a treatment for menieres disease and forward motion problems. Its an anti-hystamine called Cinnarizine and the usual dose for vertigo (dizzy spells) are 2 x 15mg tablets upto 3 times per day. Hope it helps you I tend
    • Posted

Sorry damn phone is almost as crazy as me! I tend to take 1 pill when I get so dizzy I cant cope but 2 if it happens at night so I can hopefully get some snooze time. Good luck. Hope they help you. XXX
  • Posted

I've been anemic on and off also.  I now buy a good quality iron vitamin and take one about 3 times a week just as a precaution.   I also take Vid D, coq10,  fish oil and a few others.  My tiredness comes and goes.. I just do what I can.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.