Fibre Values Diet Sheets Availability

Posted , 6 users are following.

Just been diagnosed with Diverticula at 63 and am trying to find Diet sheets with Fibre values on them so that I can work out a balanced diet but do not want to go overboard with the high fibre otherwise I will never be off the loo.

I always have Porridge for breakfast so that's not changing and my wife usually when cooking a main meal does meat and at least 3 veg but I do not normally have lunch so will have to start eating lunch to even things out. But trying to find comprehensive lists of Fibre values is non existant.

Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Cheers

0 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Graham - welcome aboard.  Go to Divi Diners and you will find (from me) a link to a really good, low residue (low fibre) diet.  Try and follow the diet for at least a week and better if you can manage a fortnight.  This gives your system a chance to rest.  Assuming you are not in the throes of a flare (infection), you can then start reintroducing fibrous foods.  This should be done on the basis of one 'new' food, leave for a couple of days and then try something else 'new.'  Keep a record of what you had and when, so you can tie this in with any adverse reaction.  Avoid anything with seeds until you are more stable.  This is many fruits unfortunately, but it does not have to be permanent.  Good luck and get back to us soon.
    • Posted

Hi Juliet, how do I get to Divi Diners have just tried all sorts of searches at the top of this page but can find nothing??? Even when I click on Forums there is nothing there for Divi Diners

Cheers

Graham

• Posted

Go to the Patient home page and go to forums.  Look under d, then diverticula.  Divi's are there.  As I am already signed in, your message actually appears next to them (us).  We are a friendly lot, sharing experiences and thoughts, not taking ourselves too seriously, but trying to help as we go.
    • Posted

I can't find it either and would appreciate it as I am at the stage of fluids only in an attempt to rest my bowel as I can't find anything to eat which is helpful.
    • Posted

Hi Juliet, just done that clicked on D and scrolled down to Diverticula no Divi Diners there, so clicked on Diverticula and it brought me straight back here.

I  must be missing something somewhere, I put it down to age!!!

Cheers

Graham

• Posted

Hi  Graham,

What are you doing on this forum ? Get yourself over to Divi Diners, and meet

the gang. We are full of advice about eating, and we will do our best to keep

you well fed.

Come on, Don't hang about  cheesygrin  Jac

• Posted

Hi Jacqueline, I would if I could find it I have tried what Juliet told me to do but still cannot find the link.  eribaeve who is also following this discussion cannot find it either (see above post)

Can you give us some guidance to get to Divi Diners

Cheers

Graham

• Posted

Hi Juliet, I have got the diet sheet now thank you, dare I ask if there is a high fibre diet sheet as well.

Cheers

Graham

• Posted

Do you mean the fibre thingy you sent to me? I have it secured on my bookmark page, saves me asking you for it again and again, I have the same problem with my car keys
    • Posted

Did you get a booklet?  I have sent another link, which includes some details on what is high and what is low.
    • Posted

NO booklet, where does it come from .? I do have a printer ,but it's still in

the box it came in, over a year ago

• Posted

By booklet, do you mean pages,that follow on ?If so, I have the Booklet.

I have just been reading ( google ) that onions are a super food ,should be eaten often, with everything powerful medicine, curer of all ailments.Not one word why they should not be eaten,along with ,garlic,leeks, spring onions ,and the killer for me, is Sprouts. I love

sprouts more than any veggie, even more than onions

Good morning by the way .Got rain frown which means retail therapy

instead of gardening, well, sitting in the garden with a book. 

• Posted

Morning Jac.. You do make me smile with your comments re DD. Can I become a new member of the Divi Diners.... I am a newby to DD and am reading mixed reviews in diets etc. so any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Heather :-)

• Posted

Welcome wee lassie !!! this is the forum to bring smiles and keep the 

pain at arms length.  There is heaps of good stuff to read through on good

stuff and stuff to keep clear of , but in saying  that  some of us meaning

Juliet can eat onions with no probs, which  really ticks me off. It's a question of trial and error, but be careful, the pain is NOT to be  tangled with. Join in the posts ,and ask questions , and tell us back if anything 

gives you a pain, members are not to be included O.K.cheesygrin

• Posted

I wonder if onion soup (filtered) would be any different?  I have to be paid quite a lot of hard cash to eat sprouts.  Hubby loves them.

Rain gone up north now - sorry!

• Posted

seemingly there is Sulphur in onions, and, are ALL the layers counted as skins.

What good taste your husband has

No rain here chuck !!

• Posted

Yup - he married me!!  lol

If sulphur is the problem, then other 'greens' like kale and such like also have sulphites, which could be a problem.

No rain here either now.  Someone's got it.

Have you had onion soup (homemade) recently enough to know if it had any repercussions?

• Posted

Hi Juliet just got in and seen your post, thank you for the booklet i have printed it off and will have a good read through.

It's a pity York Hospital did not bother to send or give me anything like this, my diagnosis even came in the post with a few bits of paper which did not help with diet, it explained the condition but not much help on the diet. So Thank you Ladies for your help. I will see how I go. My wife is already working out the fibre content of the meals that she is preparing so that's good, we were used to working out carbohydrate values previously so it's only a similar sort of thing but with fibre instead.

Once again thanks for your help.

Cheers

Graham

• Posted

Not sure if I am writing in the right place but I am not able to find a more suitable one. 

Does anyone else have different symptoms to everyone else? I have recently been diagnosed after a colonoscopy but don't seem to have as much pain as others on this site. My main problem is a frequent need to go to toilet, only a watery form of output and obvious fresh blood at times. I am still awaiting pathology results but altering my diet seems to have no result.

Anyone got a similar set of symptoms.

• Posted

How can acids cause infections? and, why doesn't stomach acid dissolve everything? It must be someting else that is causing problems, before the

food gets anywhere near the pouches."" Dontcha tink ""? 

Will have to buy some onions

.I was talking about sprouts, not you,unless you regard yourself as

an edible, You are so modest eek

• Posted

I was merely agreeing with your comment that he has good taste!  wink

Stomach acid is the second part of the digestive process; it starts in the mouth with saliva etc.  As food acid is different to digestive acid, perhaps it upsets areas lower down that are already sensitive?

Whilst I am not a fan of onion soup, do let us know how that goes.

• Posted

You are very welcome.  Hope the change of diet really helps - it is also beneficial that your wife is in tune with this.  From what other people have said, it would seem the NHS could do with knowing a bit more about the alternatives that are available to us!  Take care.
    • Posted

Morning Juliet..... You are very knowledgeable on this subject.  Have you found all this info out yourself or have you got a good medical team at your hospital? The food diet sheet was very informative. When I left the hospital three weeks ago with my first flare up, I was given a sheet saying no nuts, pips etc so really confusing when you are just new to this illness. Thank you razz
    • Posted

Most of this is distilled from websites, with a bit of common sense thrown in!  I get so cross when people are given no information.  I was given a poorly written single sheet of paper and told to go online.  Believe me, pain is an excellent motivator mad.

I know I have said it before, but we are all different.  For some reason I can get away with a lot of foods that are really bad for others here.  Then - without changing anything - I spend the next day in the bathroom.  Hey ho - my family are used to me now and don't even ask.

Start with the low residue/low fibre and give everything a chance to settle.  Are you on antibiotics?  Bear in mind they often need to be taken with food.

• Posted

Evening Juliet.... Not on antibiotics now as I finished them two weeks ago. Had a flare up last night, not nice. Was really poorly. But thankfully it had calmed down before I went to bed. Can only think it was the enchiladas I had the night before with sald, but I did blend the chicken, onions and peppers in the blender. So don't think I can have them just now. 

How has your week panned out? 

• Posted

Hi El, hope you are feeling better.  If this meal is one you enjoy, would it be worth trying it perhaps without the onions?  If that works, try it with onions but without peppers?

If you have bee following these posts for a while, you will know that we have been decorating our front room for seven months now.  BUT, the paper hanger comes tomorrow and part of the carpet on Wednesday.  The other part comes the following Wednesday.  Today we will have finished all that we (as non-DIY peope) can do.  Over to the professionals.  I'll let you know how that goes!

• Posted

Afternoon Juliet 

much better thank you but another flare up this morning and so much wind. In church this morning my tummy was making so much noise. I am going away to my home town on Friday, Edinburgh with a good friend. She called round today and I had to admit that I apologise now for my windy problem. Will have to find a cure, and fast. Could end a good friendship lol. 

Re decorating I fully agree by getting the professionals in. We have moved house just two weeks ago, after running a pub and only decorated the boys rooms before we moved in. I have said to my husband as we both work and our oldest son works to earn some spends before he sets off to uni that we do not have the time and my health  is not up to it let us get a painter and decorator in.  He tends to agree... How is your DD doing eek

• Posted

Very good up until Sunday.  I tihnk I overdid the Sunday roast trimmings.  Something upset me and I spent some time disposing of the bits my body rejected.sad  Never mind - one less stress today if the paper hanger arrives as promised.......
    • Posted

Morning juliet.How has your week been? How were you after your Sunday roast etc? Hope you weren't too bad? I have had not a bad week,only one little blip so far. Foolishly, on Tuesday, I bought a pot noodle for my lunch break at work as I wanted something hot as I was feeling cold. (We only have a small kitchen space at work, not enough room for a microwave). No sooner after eating it, it came quicker than it went in (TMI). Note to myself... Stay clear of pot noodles .... Trying a mixture of foods from the fibre list and some foods of the low residue diet and that seems to work, for just now. Have a good weekend. :-)
    • Posted

Sunday roast and trimmings were fine.  As was the curry on Wednesday night.  BUT - I avoid anything overly hot and spicy.  I don't eat pot noodles; as far as I am concerned they are pure junk.  Too much of everything that's bad for us.

I know how hard it can be to get a decent lunch; is there a sandwich shop near?  We are lucky here, there's a couple of supermarkets and more than one sandwich shop all within reasonable walking distance.  I have been trying the Ryvitas cracker breads (not crisp breads) and they seem to be OK.  There are a few flavours; been good on all of them so far, even the multigrain (flavour, not full of hidden explosives...).

I am pleased that the diet sheets are doing the rounds - hopefully they are making life a little easier.  I may try and put together a booklet gleaning information from here and all the other sheets I have found.  Perhaps people can let me know if this would be of interest?

• Posted

Glad to hear you have eaten well. I agree re pot noodles but I wanted something quick and hot. We don't have a microwave in our kitchen, very small. We do have sandwich shops but I was trying to stay clear of having too much bread. 

I would be interested on your offer of creating a booklet if the demand was there. :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.