Fibroid degeneration, totally confused, help!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have a large fibroid & have been on & off various drug treatments (Esmya & Zoladex for the lasy 2 years). During this time I have had 2 uterine MRI with dye conrast scans May 16 & January 17, both appear to show degeneration in my fibroid, though it still has a live blood supply. Once I stop these drugs will my fibroid degeneration reverse & start growing again?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I've not taken any medication but I've had natural degeneration of two fibroids twice(8cm and 3cm) and I was told by my consultant they could grow AND degenerate again. I was shocked as I thought the fibroid was dead especially in the middle once it degenerates but no not if it's still got a supply but that might only be the case for natural degeneration. Hope one of the other ladies can help better.

• Posted

I doubt anyone really knows, as there seems to be little research done on fibroids, even degeneration is not widely known about, let alone regrowth! I had one that degenerated but my gynae was not interested in how, why or whether it would regrow. I had several other large fibroids so she just wanted to do a hysterectomy. I declined........

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.