Fibroids...

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all!

Had an ultrasound today and i have a fibroid (small 3cm). Altho it's small in size it has been causing me bother (painful periods, periods coming early, backache and extreme pain during intercourse). I know it's small but it's causing me so much pain when having sex and the periods, i was wondering what anyone would think the 1st port of call will be ie. what treatment will they advise? See my doc again on 23rd July. I'm 34 and have 4 kids and plan on no more x

0 likes, 7 replies

Report / Delete

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nic!

Yes, I am aware that a 3 cm sized fibroid can cause havoc on the body depending on where it is located as I had/have four fibroids (2 cm - 13 cm). I had the UFE procedure back in Oct. 2017, so nearing a year ago. I will say I have kids and no intentions of having any more children. I used an interventional radiologist for the procedure because gynocologists only do hysterectomy & myomectomy surgeries (at least in the U.S.). I am certain the fibroids have shrunk as I can exercise freely with nothing poking out. My periods are a new normal and have no complaints there. I did not have the second MRI after the procedure due to health insurance company being annoying, but I feel so much better. My iron count is in normal range, so not drained as I was prior to the procedure. Yes, I have said "I'm so glad that I had the procedure done. (even though I was vomiting for the first 2 days due to being too medicated)" Yes, I also realize that not everyone has a positive outcome, however, if you do your research (reading books, asking women who have gone through his before, and talking to your doctors), you should make a great decision for your needs.

Good Luck!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hysterectomy I think best unless your happy with bleeding as can get troublesome with fibroids x
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hello.

I'm in a similar situation to you in that I have one small fibroid that has caused me a lot of problems with terrible pain and heavy bleeding. The course of treatment re commended will depend in part on where you live, your doctor, where the fibroid is located and your particular symptoms. I was recently sent for a hysteroscopy to determine the location of the fibroid and will be having a surgical hysteroscopy remove it (minimally invasive option) next year. Meanwhile I 've been put on synthetic progesterone which have given me longer cycles and brought bleeding down to normal levels. Also prescription iron as I'm anemic.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I'm terrified that they will prescribe me any hormonal treatment as when on any type of contraceptives i was awful....really low mood and not myself. I came of all 2 years ago and swore i will never take anything like that again as it was that bad. Glad you are seeing an improvement, I will be glad to see my doctor again next week to see what she thinks will happen next. Xo

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I have numerous fibroids in a few locations but one of them had a large blood supply and gynae considered it might help if removed, so I had a myomectomy via hysteroscopy under a general anaesthetic.  I was post menopause and none of the fibroids were shrinking as they say they will after menopause.  I have less back pain since it's been removed so maybe it helped. 

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up