Fibroids

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone , I have just turned 49 and I've been spitting and spotting for what feels like a few months now sometimes what seems like a very light period then nothing for a day or two , then just a bit after a wee when I wipe myself. So today I got to see a gynecologist  he examined me and thinks I have a large fibroid at the neck of my womb. Anyone else had the same ? I have to keep a diary and then in 3 months go for a scan . He says fibroids are not serious , I am just wandering as I think I'm defiantly going through menopause if it will just shrink and go on its own. And also as he's leaving me so long it's nothing that serious. Let me know if anyone else is at the same place. 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

my sister had a large fibroid in her womb in her mid forties, and had to have a hysterectomy. Usually with fibroids, the fibroid at least should be removed. Depending on where it is exactly, sometimes a hysterectomy is needed. I am suprised your'e gyneacologist didnt say this - but maybe they are doing more tests, and of course I'm not a medical expert. I cant imagine a fibroid would shrink away - I've never heard of this. Just going off what I know has happened with family/friends.

I think you need to contact youre doctor to find out what specifically is going on with you asap.

• Posted

I had the spotting like you said, first in december and then again last month. It starts of spotting and like you said when after a wee and wipe too. I have had smear and uterus checked so presumed was hormones, now after ovary removal had this but i think to do with the after effect of op, i had transvaginal ultrasound prior to ovary removal and fibroid werent spotted or mentioned, i would have thouvht that wohld have spotted them, so I presumed bec of ny age 51 it was the hormones, x
    • Posted

That's interesting , maybe your hormones were what caused it. Or apparently sometimes fibroids shrink . What is a transvaginal ultrasound like ? I think that's what I'm going to have. 
  • Posted

i have 2 fibroids (had ultrasound/transvag) and unless they cause you major problems, and since you are "that" close to menopause, they don't normally remove your uterus for them.  they will shrink once estrogen "flatlines".  if, however, you have horrible bleeding and cramping then they will do it.  i have all of this and scarring from a c-section and tied tubes.  my periods are painful and sometimes i have cramping with no bleeding. they tried ablation to lessen the pain and bleeding, but it only helped to minimize clotting; still have pain and heavy flow first 3 days.  FINALLY they are sending me for a consult for hysterectom.   if it gets to a point where you are miserable, discuss hysterectomy with your gyne. 
    • Posted

That's interesting and what I have gathered from reading a bit online. I have no pain like yourself and not heavy bleeding . I agree about not getting too down as there seems to always be an option . Migraines are my biggest bug bear and seem to coincide with the light bleeding and spotting. I hope the hysterectom helps for you I'll keep my fingers crossed.
    • Posted

Transvaginal scan is like an ultrasound but goes inside you, it isnt painful or anything, like you bleeding wasnt heavy or painful but persistant on and off light spotting.
  • Posted

Hi ladies I just turn 52 still with my per. I had a D & C done in December because of heavy bleeding and really bad cramps, I did got several ultrasound before the procedure my doc.wanted to wait for menopause but my per. Were getting heavier so I decided to go for it, which was good because she scraped off the fibroid I had.my  period Stop for 4 month after surgery but now I started getting it again with cramps.i just hope with menopause the fibroid disappeared .
    • Posted

most of the time the fibroids are within the uterine wall,  so they can't be sure if they "scraped" it away, unless they did hysteroscope and saw what they were getting rid of.  not sure in your case...?? sometimes they miss tissue in the d&c and you get build up bleeds from that leftover tissue.   i had an ablation (burning of the lining) and it was a complete failure because i'd had a c-section; and i had fibroids.  they should have just done the hysterectomy with my history right there in front of them.   my c-sec scar grew into the lining and they just couldn't hope to take care of the scar tissue; each month it becomes inflamed.  i have adenomyosis which should have been evident...by my history... ugh, doctors!   there is hope for you, patty79770 - with menopause the fibroids will shrink.  the estrogen is what keeps them "alive". 
  • Posted

Hi Goosie,

I have a slightly enlarged womb, with a fibroid on the outer womb. I also had a prolapsed womb. I was told a hysterectomy was an option but i wanted to avoid that if i could. I had a lots of bleeding and spotting for over a year. There are various treatments out for fibroids some natural and some sugically etc. I had to have a op for my prolapsed womb but i chose not to have a hysterectomy and told the fibroids would shrink through menopause which i am now going through. Some women with massive fibroids perhaps need a hysterectomy but some sugeons push hysterectomies, it is not always the right solution for some women. If you are going through menopause they will shrink. You are having a scan wait and see what that says first. Are you taking anything for you menopause? If you are having lots of irregular bleeding take some iron tablets. I had so much spotting etc my iron levels went really low. Eat well and keep hydrated. Also i know this sounds weird info but make sure you are doing pelvic floor exercises. Going through peri/menopause can weaken the pelvic floor in some women and cause prolapses. Wish i was told that info years ago! I am just telling all women how important doing pelvic floor exercises are. Take care and remember to take a multivitamin with iron or iron tablets. X

• Posted

I am now madly scanning the list of vitamins and minerals in Menapace which I've just started taking.  And if there's no iron , I'll buy a supplement . My pelvic floor isn't amazing so I'll step up exercising, I do Pilates regularly so hopefully that is helping. Your advise is much appreciated ! Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. This forum is fantastic , hearing from other ladies who have been through the same is very
    • Posted

I found menopace increased my bleeding. Not sure why?  When you do pelvic floor exercises just make sure you are doing them right. When you see your gyno ask him to check your pelvic floor strength. Some women find it hard to locate their pelvic floor and there are devices out there to help with that.  These herbal tablets are all trial and error sometimes. I think with fibroids you should avoid estrogen based plants etc. Estrogen on what i understand feeds fibroids. Fibroids are caused by imbalanced hormones. I think some times we can have too much estrogen through peri menopause. Also HRT can increase fibroids, so you want to avoid that if you can. It is a hard one to call. Your gyno should give you some good advice. Just do not panic about things. Take a day at a time, look after yourself with eat good food. There is a whole list of food that contains iron. Some iron tablets can make you consipated. I also read that sugars, red meats can increase fibroids because most meat is pumped with hormones. But do not panic! You will be fine. Cereals are fortifyed with iron and so is some bread. Lots of iron in green veg especially spinach! Information on the net about fibroids can be confusing and worrying. Lots of women have fibroids and do not even know about them. They are very common. 
    • Posted

I am also not telling you not to eat meat by the way. They say organic meat is better for you. It can be very expensive though! Try to eat naturally. Nuts and seeds are good for you also. You just got to look after your body. Us women do not do that at times! We skip meals, eat irregular etc.
    • Posted

Good advise , my bleeding seems lighter so far so I'll keep an eye on it. I guess everyone's anatomy is slightly different and reacts as a such . As far as meat is concerned I don't eat that much, but love an Angus steak , so I'll splash out and go organic ! ...You are right we do neglect ourselves so I'm going to make a concerted effort ! Thanks so much 😝👍🏻

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.