Fibroids & Zoladex

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello!  I’m 48 with one child and have a fibroid of 17cm and a 5cm ovarian cyst.  I was told that I’d need a hysterectomy and prescribed Zoladex injections to try and shrink fibroid prior to surgery.  I had my first injection and then got a period a few weeks later.  I stopped taking the HRT that was prescribed as it was giving me terrible migraines and nausea, had my second injection and now miraculously feel amazing.  My abdomen has definitely shrunk and I actually feel healthy.  My question is...how long can you be on these injections?  Could I continue with them until proper menopause?  Thank you x

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there I am waiting for the same thing did the zoladex work and was your bleeding heavy? Not allowed injection yet till my biopsy is back x
  • Posted

Hi Andrea,

Your post has made me feel better, I had zoladex last week so haven’t felt the benefits yet. My fibroid is 18x13x11cm and causes me so much pain. There just doesn’t seem to be enough room in my abdomen for everything. As far as I know, treatment for fibroids with zoladex is 3 months, 6 months for endometriosis and longer for hormone sensitive cancers. I imagine the zoladex will be only short term while you are on the waiting list for theatre xx

• Posted

I read this & thought it was my post! being 48, massive fibroid, one child & ovarian cyst. However I've done 6 months of Zoladex & it didn't shrink mine sad hope it shrinks yours, however it's my understanding shrinkage can be a temporary thing & that its a drug often used pre surgery to try & make it easier to get out x

• Posted

Hi heather if your fibroids never shrunk with zoladex did you still get lots of bleeding then? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.