Finally feeling better 😊

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have been on sertraline for 17 days now, 7 days on 50mg then rest on 100mg and today I am starting to feel better finally wahoo! I thought this day would never come, I know it's still early days but I am really happy! I was on citalopram which pooped out after 7 years and was having severe panic attacks and anxiety, after a few months of still suffering I didn't want to live anymore but I didn't want to die! I was crying every day to the doctors feeling I wanted to end it all and my doctor didn't give a damn (I have changed doctors now get to see my new doctor monday) one day I drank a bottle of vodka and took sleeping pills, only 2, my sister rang an ambulance and was in hospital to check me over. Mental health team came to see me and I told them what was wrong. I was so disconnected from myself and the world around me this caused many panic attacks and anxiety. I just didn't feel real....I've had depersonalisation for 12 years but could normally lead a normal life, but my depersonalisation was so severe it caused a never ending circle of anxiety and panic attacks. Any how all this happens because citalopram had stopped working and I only realised this a few weeks ago! It's been happening for months on end! I weaned over to sertraline I was lucky because I hardly got side effects just feeling a bit spaced out now and then! Awesome and runny poppies 💩 I've had no appetite really I have lost about 10 lbs. Hopefully appetite will come back! I'm only eating a banana on the morning and a few biscuits at night. Anyway I never thought sertraline was ever gonna work, I read other posts saying stick with it and they were right! To you people suffering from side effects please please please stick with it, it's worth it in the end 😊

3 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Didn't mean to write 'Awesome' on the runny poopies bit lol my damn phone changes my words, so annoying! 😊

• Posted

This is my 28th day on sertaline 50mg for anxiety. Side effects were awful. Day 24, I felt like my old self. Today, I still feel a bit shaky but much better. I will keep with it as it says  5 to 6 weeks before seeing the full benefits.
  • Posted

I'm hoping that this works for me I'm 150 mg and it is been 5 weeks. I'm please I haven't had any nasty side-effects, I am taking for GAD and i guess like a social anxiety. I was having severe panic attacks when I was alone or when I was out in Social settings, but could never pinpoint when it would happen, I could be fine one day and not the next So I have been not driving for a year-and-a-half. I know that's a long time and sometimes I can drive with a lot of people in the car just not alone and other times I'm panicking even with people in the car. My point is I know that because I haven't been doing it for so long it will take some time to get used to but I'm still having panic attacks when I have to drive alone. How long will this take to work? The doctor suggested coming to 100 mg but I'm scared of having side effects or being like a zombie

• Posted

Hope you start feeling better soon, it says it takes about 6-8 weeks to work...I have GAD and I'm still anxious just no where near what I was like before, I was in constant panic mode! Stick with it, it's hard to be patwenty when you just want to feel better x I'm not counting all my chickens just yet, it's just the 1st time in months I've felt a bit more normal! Take care x 😊

• Posted

Patient not patwenty lol!!!
  • Posted

I started 25mg on the 20th of October then went up to 50mg 30th of October. Haven’t really been dealing with any side effects lately, had some headaches in the first week but so far I’m okay. My anxiety has really been out of whack though. I feel on edge and always feel like I’m about to start panicking. I really hope this lets up soon. Your post gives me hope but it’s def hard with my anxiety acting this way! Best wishes to you!! 
  • Posted

Definitely hang int here.  I had sesver anxiety the first few weeks and had to take xanax a few times as well to ease it.  I waited a year and half to take this medicine, I did try Lexapro in December and took it until february but I was a total mess and a walking zombie.  I stopped that and then went on to this 5 weeks ago.... I know that in reality I waited so long that it may take longer to work and my lack of driving alone may have become a learned behavior that is hard to get out of---- but in that regard I feel no different and no more willing to drive.  I am not sure if I should wait the full 8 weeks and then go tot he 100- and am wondering why they don't slowly send us up to 75 first.....all in all, i stuck with this because the side effects were bearable and I have had few- bumping up may be what i need but if it increases side effects, i might bail on the med.  At this point, my husband goes back to work next month- i have 3 kids, i NEED TO DRIVE--- this sucks !

• Posted

Morning Kmom,

Was just reading your issue about the driving and how now it’s possibly become a learned behaviour. Was just wondering if exposure training would help you to ease back into things again...??

Starting small and increasing gently over time...?? Little manageable/ achievable goals each day as such, instead of feet first into the deep end??

Example... Sit in the car for a short amount of time several times a day, when feeling comfortable with that... increase to sitting there with the engine running, when comfortable again push to driving round the block, and so  on and so forth, little steps & confidence building to help you reprogram your anxiety response.

Unsure if this is something you would find beneficial, but thought I would share... 🌹

• Posted

I am so happy to hear things are looking up for you! Yes, stick with it and muck threw the side effects! Good job at hanging in there 😊

• Posted

Hi Pamela I am starting Sertraline 50mg  Tomorrow, I also was on Citalopram  It just didn't work.

I am so scared of starting this new drug, But I must give it a go, Thank you for your post it helped me a lot .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.