finaly giving in to anti depressants

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been trying to fight panic anxiety depression for the last year telling myself I don't have it that there's something else I'm too strong a person to have depression I've been tested for so many different things but other then gallstones the Dr keeps telling me I'm fine so why do I feel so ill all the time dizzy sick shaking feel like my head is burning from my neck up gets so bad I feel like I'm gonna die or pass out at least after a year of Dr telling me to try anti depressants I'm finally gonna give in and start the sertraline 50 mgs a day I feel so aloe and worthless and feel like I'm never gonna be me again please reply if you have any advice xxxx

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi jojo don't beat yourself up about taking antidepressants, there are an awful lot of people out there prescribed them and functioning normally. I don't know the % of the population in Britain taking them, but I do believe AD are one of the highest prescribed drugs. If you were a diabetic having to take insulin you probably wouldn't give it a second thought, so what is wrong with taking an AD. It is a condition like diabetes, that needs stabilising. No one need know unless you want to tell them.

i will say they do take a good few weeks. maybe upto 8 till you get the full benefit, and there can be side effects but not everyone gets them. Keep talking to your Dr hope it works out well.

yes I am on AD have been since 2008 had ups and downs but I was able to work till I retired 2 years ago. I have been told due to my nature I may be on them for the rest of my life but if it keeps me well what the hell.

• Posted

Thank you Diane I just hate taking tablets but I know that if I don't start dealing with it soon I may lose my husband as I'm putting him through hell at the moment and don't feel like I'm being a good mom to my kids either although they are very understanding thanks again for the help what you says Akers great sense I will start them and fingers crossed they will help xx
  • Posted

Hi strength is nothing to do with depression and it is not a weakness either so please get these ideas out of your head.   It is an illness like any other and not related to your mentality!   Many great and famous people have suffered from it as well,

Have you thought of trying counselling as well?   This might help.  x

• Posted

Hi jojo I have suffered for many years with depression and panic attacks it's the panic attacks that make you feel sick and dizzy because you are hyperventily which is causing you to feel the way you feel . You have to try and slow your breathing down take a deep breath in through your nose in your head count to 10 seconds and then breath out through your mouth try it as it works for me as my gp told me . It's called fright or flight response the it's means that it's telling your body danger and fear which your body starts to panic thinking that there is danger a head . But try the breathing and see if it helps xxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.