Finding exercises hard!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone, I just wondered how everyone coped/is coping with exercises following TKR? I am 5 1/2 weeks post op and have been for 3rd physio session this morning. I was so tired afterwards and my leg's been aching a lot. I have been keeping up with all the exercises given 3 times a day but my leg is still not lying flat and is very stiff and tight, particularly down the back of thigh and calf. I'm walking a bit better but am impatient and want to see more improvement. Can anyone offer any advice or reassurance? 

Jen 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jennifer

I'm 5 1/2 weeks post op too! I admire you doing exercises 3 x a day! I wonder if maybe that is too much? Do you ice it afterwards? Are you still taking a pain med?

My knee is still extremely stiff, but fortunately it has not affected my physical therapy. I still take a pain pill though before exercising, which helps loosen things up, so I cringe to think I might think I'm doing better than I really am, but afraid to do it without pain med yet, as like I said, I'm still very stiff. I think that's normal though at our stage.

I'm also very tired afterwards. I have not regained my energy at all. Hopefully this too is normal.

Keep posting as I'd like to compare notes since we are at the same stage smile Betty

• Posted

Hi Betty, thanks for your reply. It's good to hear from someone who's at the same stage. My physio told me to do the exercises 3 times a day so I assume it's what I need to do. I used to use ice but he said as there is little swelling now that it wouldn't benefit me. He actually said to use some heat to loosen the muscles behind the knee. So I use a heat pad thing in the microwave. I do find that quite soothing. I've cut down on painkillers from the strong cocodamol I took initially to the lower dose one at night and sometimes in the morning then just paracetamol 2ce more during the day. I try to take them before exercising but not sure how much effect they have. I suppose I could go back on Co codamol 4 times a day but have got it into my head that I should cut down. It's reassuring that you still get tired too. You're probably right that it's normal. I'm hoping today is just a bad day and it'll be less painful tomorrow 😊 Yes, please keep in touch - it'll be good to compare notes and please feel free to moan to me if you're having a bad day! I think it really is good to share our frustations. 

Jen x

• Posted

All sounds about right . Tiredness is a great problem still for me at 7 weeks. I exercise 3 times a day too, sometimes more . My knee still stiffens up after exercise but also after just sitting too . I really push myself through the pain when bending , it still feels as though I could burst the stitches, which of course I won't. Straightening was a problem but I seem to be nearly there now . Keep exercising it will pay off . No pain no gain lol 
    • Posted

Thanks for your encouragement again, Pam 😊

I need to be reminded that the exercises will pay off - you're right - no pain, no gain 😊

• Posted

Good for you when it comes to the excercise. I have been through replacement, revision (replacing the TKR), a broken leg and staph infection which required opening the knee completely a third time. Each experience has been different but all required intense therapy. However; I was cautioned many times only to do it in proper controlled steps. My early therapy was done in a controlled enviornment with a therapist with me giving me step by step instruction. Even at thst, I found most of the people I got to know hit a wall 5-6 weeks in. Battling through that disappointment is almost as painful mentally as the workout is physically. Maybe 3x daily is a little much. Talk to your therapist and see is 2x daily would be as good and maybe take the weekends down to once. Give yourself a chance to enjoy the other things in life......friends, hobbies, etc. Make sure a complete 20 min. icing after each session and maybe a couple of other times a day. The body will only heal so fast and just because we want it to go faster doesn't mean it will. If you have ever known someone with the flu or cold that gets out of bed and keeps on going........and the bug just stays in place. A couple of days with rest, staying comfortable would have made them much more  productive sooner. Stay positive and give your body a little break. You have been through a tramatic experience mentally and physically. Work hard when you work but baby yourself a little as well. Blessings and good luck
    • Posted

Thanks for your kind words. You've obviously suffered yourself. My physio told me to do the exercises 3 times a day so I'll try to keep it up. I go for my 6 week check up with the surgeon next week so will see what he says. 

I'll try to do as you say and give myself some treats too.  I still have an afternoon nap most days. I think I'm probably expecting too much too soon. 

I hope you have now recovered well

Jen 

• Posted

Hang in there Jennifer. Pain goes with the territory and exercises are the devil and can hurt mega. It is an extremely long road and it was made better for me knowing that it could take 8-12 months to completely get over it. So if you accept that then that's ok. I'm 5 months and must say that although stil a tad uncomfortable, it's quite solid on the whole. I'm due for the other in 3 weeks so will be going through it all again but I have a trip booked for 6 months post the second knee op. that should show you how much better it can get by 5/6 months if I have the confidence to do that based on my first knee recuperation. So hang in. It's hard and you have my sympathy
    • Posted

Hi Gloria I am 19 weeks and due to have my other knee done. I am going away on the 8th Sept for 2 weeks so the consultant said he would get in touch with me when I get back. Its looking like October. Hope yours goes alright. Dont know how I will feel even though I have been through it once I am still dreading it. I know its for the best though. My new knee is very strong now and my other knee is killing me. Keep in touch
    • Posted

Thanks, Gloria. Yes I must accept it's a long journey. My consultant told me I wouldn't like him for at least 6 months! It's so good to hear from others that it does eventually improve. Good luck with your 2nd op. I admire your positive attitude.

jen x

• Posted

Hi Jennifer I am 19 weeks post op and doing really well. You do seem to reach a plateau in recovery and think it will never get right. I think we all suffer from impatience. I had days when I didnt do much excercise and thought that it was my fault that I wasnt getting right. Whatever you do it will get easier and you will feel so much better. Just doing something you couldnt do the week before cheers you up no end. I kept a journal because I am having my other knee done. Dont lose heart its good to discuss things with others. 
    • Posted

Thanks Joan. I think you're right, I do feel as if I've reached a plateau and am probably expecting too much too soon. My husband keeps reminding me how I've improved week by week so I should be grateful for that.it's good to hear you have recovered well at 19 weeks.good luck with your 2nd knee. I hope it goes well.

jen x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.