Finding it hard to catch my breath

Posted , 9 users are following.

Has anyone experienced a feeling that you cant take a full breath? It feels like I cant fill my lungs properly especially when I'm in bed and its frightening the life out if me.

I've been having stinging and soreness across my chest for months, my Dr says its acid reflux but medication for it hasn't worked.

Over the last few months I've felt probably the worst ive ever felt. I cry pretty much every day, I'm tired, my skin is a mess, I ache, I'm lightheaded and dizzy, I feel sick, I'm short tempered and my periods seem to be coming about every two and a half weeks.

I work full time, care for my elderly mother who is in poor health. My relationship with my partner is suffering and the thought of losing that breaks my heart. My mum keeps getting upset and saying she's a burden which makes me feel awful and on top of all this ive convinced myself that there is something seriously wrong with me.

Sorry for the rant 😢

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I should say you do need to pay a visit to docs cos it need to get sorted! 
  • Posted

Rant away girl, that's what we are here for!

Breathing problems and the soreness you describe are not on my list of miseries, they sound awful. But I ache all over, sometimes feel light-headed and very short-tempered.

I'm the same as you with regards to my mum. It doesn't help (in my case) that she is a 'glass half-empty' type of person, always looking on the bad side - it wears me down. Comments like 'you be better off without me' don't help!

My OH is quite understanding - he has health problems of his own (we are a right pair) But it does mean that we sometimes live separate lives, wrapped up in our own miseries.

Get back to your doctor and tell him you want tests to get to the bottom of your problems. Even if it IS acid reflux, the medication is not doing it's job and you need it sorting. Who cares for the carers?

• Posted

Thank you.

My mum is a bit gloomy at times but she's the gentlest, most caring woman I've ever know and when I feel rotten and get a bit snappy with her it makes me feel terrible.

I am scheduled for a cardiac assessment this week and I've already had an ecg done by my GP and had a chest xray, both of which were ok but I've not been offered any blood tests. The GP wants me to have an endoscopy if the pain continues but just the thought of that terrified me.

It all feels such a mess. Thank you for listening.

• Posted

Hi lisa

like yourself I get breathless and pains in my chest and I ache all over I have Been to the doctors (although not very helpful) I had a cardiac assessment and have to have a angina test done with a dye and ct scan but to put my mind at rest they said they would contact me within 4 weeks I have had the letter but not appointment so I'm thinking if it was that serious then they would have rushed it through!

however sometimes when I get a achy chest and tingling in my arms and other symptoms (which I won't bore you with) then I can't help but worry!

hope all gets sorted 

L x

• Posted

Hi Lesley

Its awful to feel so unwell all the time isn't it?

If this is all menopause related I really don't understand why our Drs aren't hearing what we are telling them. I've brought the subject up so many times with my Dr but he dismisses it every time. I really want to change Drs but I live in a very rural community and the next closest gp practice is miles away.

I hope all goes well with you too and good luck with the heart tests. X

• Posted

My OH has to go for a CT scan on Tueday. So far the tests have said what's NOT wrong with him. But no one can tell us what IS the matter. It is so frustrating.

Like you they said they'd be in touch in a certain time. When we heard nothing, he 'phoned them. With all the cutbacks in the NHS he had slipped down the list. It is true the squeaky wheel gets the oil. So start squeaking and get yourself seen!

• Posted

HI lisa,i think what your describing is pure stress i had this and the same symptoms.

I had an endoscopy but when the dr spoke to me he said, you look a very stressful person ,i said yes very i stress over everything.He put me out for endoscopy so never felt a thing when i came round i was fine and went home.The outcome off the test was he reccomended something to chill me out.I didn't want this so plodded on.I thought to myself this is sink or swim.I did breathing,changed my way of thinking,that this will pass its all because of hormomes and i have been alot better.I no its easy for people to say this but its the only way forward and believe me i could riight a book on what ive been through,im now post meno and still go through the odd thing.Please think to yourself,i can do this and i will.If anyone or anything starts to upset you,walk away from the situation take deep breaths and tell yourself i can do it .I hope this helps.xxx

• Posted

Thank you Trudy, that has helped me a lot.

My daughter is always telling me I worry too much and she thinks my problems are stress related too.

Its nice to know that someone has felt the same and come out the other side.

Can I ask what symptoms you had to prompt them to do the endoscopy?

• Posted

Hi,your daughter is right,chill the more you stress the worse your pains will be.I was admitted to hospital for chest pain and left arm,after loads of test they said i have angina which i dont think it isbut i branded now,i think whaen i get stressed my arteries go into spasms.I then said could i have acid reflux because my sister had the same at my age,so i had endoscopy thats when the dr said he thinks its stress related. If i drank wine or had certain foods it would cause acid reflux too and cause burning like pains as you described.I was on omeprazole just to help it heal,im not on it now.I think for peace of mind go get the endoscopy done,this will stop you wondering whats going on and make you feel better.I was exactly the same in peri, in and out of hospital worrying i had a major illness and was going to die,but hey im still here 5 years after,still suffering certain things, but i say i can do this, and i will survive because i have to.Take care and try keep away from stressful situations.xxx
  • Posted

When my anxities are up thats when I have a feeling that I can't take in a full breath and yes there are times I feel it hard to deep breath and take in that full breath. 

I am on a c-pap maching for sleep apnea and there are times if I can't get a full breath i get really jumpy and nervous there are times am i breathing right on my machine. 

Like on Wednesday night after taking that second HRT I was feeling like I couldn't breath and it made me jumpy all night have not had that episode since I have not taken the HRT but I have had those episodes with other medications while on my c-pap machine just feelings that i can't breath or my breathing has stopped it is scary 

I suffer from acid reflux myself and i use to be on famotidine for a long time then it started to cause me stomach problems 

You may just be going into peri menopause, are you on any HRTs to help you. There are side effects to that too. If you are that could be changing your moods 

maybe you need to go on an SSRI for depression and anxieties.

Just hang in there everything will be fine even though right now it may seem to be the end of the world for us ladies but its not 

We ladies need to learn to cope with our emotions a little better and we need copping skills. We can not let peri menopause or menopause control our emotions and I think this is what we are doing we are letting our hormones control how we feel we need to get our heads on straight and work with our minds not our emotions easy said than done because I let my emotions take effect over me instead of my wise mind 

• Posted

Hello Susan

You are so right that we do let our hormones control our emotions and it is a totally overwhelming feeling.

I get stuck in a rut with my anxieties, I let them run riot and before I know where I am in in a right state. I'm seriously considering anti depressants for a little while because there seems to be so much going on at the moment and I am finding it hard to cope.

I'm not on any form of hrt because my Dr doesn't think I'm peri menopausal (he thinks at 45 I'm too young! And in his opinion the peri menopause isn't really a medical issue! His words, not mine I must add!!).

I sympathise with you regarding the sleep apnea. My brother suffers from this and he too uses a c-pap machine.

I wish you well Susan. Xx

• Posted

I am also having a lot of palpitations i don't know what to do any more I just want them to go away I am wearing a heart monitor to find out what is causing them 

I just pray that its not my heart that its just anxieties and a broken heart because of how sad I am right now

• Posted

Palpitations are so common in menopause and I think lots of us get them. I had a 24 hour monitor reading 2 years ago which showed lots of ectopic beats but no serious arrhythmia. I have to have another cardio screening this week.

I hope all works out ok for you xx

• Posted

Thank you just wish these palpitations will go away
  • Posted

Dear lisa yes sometimes i feel abit breathless, abitblikebwhen i breath i dont fully take the full lungs, i am at peri now x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.