Finding it very difficult to sleep

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm not sure if this is classed as having anxiety and unsure if anyone else has the similar things.

This happens every single night I head to bed and am usually so tired that my eyes feel heavy. The moment I close my eyes it's almost like my brain switches from thinking about whatever I've just done last to thinking about bad things. I know I'm lying down trying to get to sleep but the images in my head are so vivid it's like I'm in a deep dream state though I know I'm not.

These things I can think of range from me seeing myself attacking people who I dislike to things like I look back on past events in my life where I feel I embarrassed myself. When im thinking of these things my heart usually races too and my breathing very slightly increases.

I'm writing on here because it almost seems too stupid to tell someone I know. But this happens every single night and can usually take me 1-2 hours from lying down to falling asleep.

Any suggestions what I should do?

Thanks.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Ive been having the same problem too. It usually comes during then night i want to rest but my mind starts thinking of evil things. It keeps me up for a very long time my heart race sometimes picks up or I get chills and hot flashes and I have to always catch me breath and relax myself I also have very bad nightmares. You're not alone I'd recommend seeing a doctor to get that checked out.

• Posted

Hi Jamie.

This can be controlled by you. It's a horrible thing that is happening, but you must learn to dissociate yourself with these thoughts.

Deep breathing, slow, and concentrating on the 'out' breath helps.

Another way round this is to imagine you're on the ceiling, watching yourself. That sounds mad, but it works for me.

Finally - the most difficult one - force ALL thoughts out of your head. Good or bad, just empty your mind of everything. You need great powers of concentration to do this. As soon as a thought comes in, concentrate on blanking it out.

I hope this might help you. love Tess

• Posted

This has only happened to me the few times I smoked pot before bed. I don't do that anymore. Scared me out of my socks.

• Posted

its not stupid jamie your mind seems to go into overdrive at night this is when it is quietest and things can seem worse it sounds like it could be anxiety with the racing heart try chamomile tea before bed and maybe some gentle music to take the focus away from your thoughts hope this helps 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.