First check up since surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

Had my first check up since I had TKR on July 1st. I didn't have a 90 degree bend when i was discharged after 6 days and i still don't have it now. Despite that i am relatively pain-free and hop about fairly briskly. So today I was really worried about seeing the consultant with my lack of ROM. However he was mainly concerned with my ability to straighten my knee! Typical!

My other knee is actually worse than the knee I just had replaced so that is permanently bent and he is concerned that the new knee will also end up bent if i don't work at it.

He said my scar was absolutely excellent. If it is of interest to anyone in the UK i have been using Boots scar reduction serum three or four times a day since the clips came out.

I have to go back in three months and hopefully actually see a physio who will help push me to get this knee right and avoid anything like MUA. He mentioned me needing the other knee done but i said i wasn't ready to go through it all again right now. This has already taken over my life and been hard and I wasn't ready to go through it all again until knee number one is fully useable. He said he didn't blame me. So... Back to the grindstone for me.

0 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like you're doing really well, Tracey.

I my experience, straightening is far more important (and difficult in my case), as you can't walk properly otherwise.  Most people seem to concentrate on the bend.  I have had MUAs on both of mine because they got to the stage where I could not straighten them, and I am going back into hospital in September to have my second knee opened up again.

So glad that you haven't got the pain either, as that makes a real difference.

I waited almost 2 years before having my second one done, as when first one finally settled down I wanted to make the most of it.  I'm so pleased that I did, as I am now back walking on crutches again!  My second knee is a bespoke one and has been far worse.

wish you all the best.

Patsy

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

You are very early days at 6/7 weeks. My operated knee is almost straight (I am 18wks post op) but I am still working on it. I would say at your stage you still have a lot of internal working going on so be careful of what you do. I am at the stage that I put weights on it for a few minutes when I exercise, but I would suggest you don't do that on your operated knee just yet. However you could use this technique on your other leg. I have ankle weights which when undone lie flat and I put them on knee. One on top of the other so I have 2kg on my knee. You could try that on the unoperated leg. Thanks for the tip re the Boots scar serum - I am using bio-oil. (when I remember rolleyes​ ) Good luck with your bending and straightening.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

hi tracey your doing great well done as you say typical he would mention the other leg being bent  !!! my husband is like you he got the hip done 2 yrs ago and the knee onthe other leg is like yours bent and is stuck that way he did have cartilage done a few years back and even though he was asleep during op the surgeon couldnt straighten it so that was a few years ago he needs a new knee but he keeps putting it off i supose i didnt give him confidence after my knee replacement he now has a little bow in the leg so he will have to at some point next year its hard to go back
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thanks guys. The funny thing is if it wasn't for forums like this none of us would know that the things we experience are a common theme for us all and that we're not alone in our ups and downs. One of the good things about the internet i think.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Tracey.... I say it again. Since I starting using the 90 degree pool, things have improved for me greatly.  As a matter of fact working out at any swimming pool will do. Give it a try!
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up