First day of Citalopram

Posted , 8 users are following.

Like many people on this board i only recently admitted to needing something for my depression recently after several years of suffering depression but just getting on with life and thinking it will pass or is normal. Stress of work and study & worrying about my future and what the point in living is made me feel pretty suicidal, this has now passed but I was losing the ability to carry on with normal day to day activities.

I went to see the Doc who gave me Cit & some sleeping pills & signed me off work for 2 weeks. Took first pill today and have had a cracking headache all day despite taking 4 ibuprofen which did nothing. However I did also have a headache before I took the pill and have had general headaches for afew weeks so maybe it has just contributed to it. I went to the gym to see if that would clear it and felt abit weird like i might faint and tingly arms so i didnt push it too hard. Also I glanced at myself in the mirror and im sure my eyes looks like im on Ex! or is this due to blurry vision.

Anyway although this seems very odd after only taking one I have confidence that these are worth sticking with for a decent period to see what happens. Also a weight has been lifted as work now know how I feel as before I always put a brave face on it and noone was any the wiser. The work & pressure of study has built up too much to handle that something has to be done. Although my career revolves around qualifying I am considering packing it in and accepting a lower salary/less demanding role as it is not healthy to continue like this when you cant cope.

Will keep people updated. its nice to hear other peoples experiences too.

Will be trying first sleeping tablet tonight!

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thanks Barney,

Ive got an appointment at doctors next tuesday to ask for higher dose - it will be 3 weeks by then. Maybe too soon but worth asking as im sure my body can tolerate it!

Decided to defer the exams until November now as I have found my concentration has completely gone out the spout and can no longer focus or engage in the studies. Is this the depression or the medication or both?

I spoke to the Partner at work today, who is above my manager, and he seemed a lot more understanding about it.

I think you're right that most people at work don't know what to say, that's probably it, i'm surprised that more people haven't experienced it themselves. My mum and boyfriend have both been through it so its good to have their support.

xxxxxx

• Posted

Hi Sarah facinguptothings, before the medication kicked in I did experience a lack of concentration due to the depression, but I do remember it got worse when I started the meds and to answer your question, is probably both. Once meds kick in you should be back on track. Good luck with exams and work.
  • Posted

Thankyou for your messages.

I am nearly 4 weeks now and not feeling much better. I went to see doctor yesterday about increasing dose, but he said 20mg is plenty to get the benefits and then he would look to reduce it down to 10mg. He was also certain that it would definitely work.

I'm not so sure! I wonder if i have set my expectations too high? I mean I guess if there day to day things you dont like doing like work/study then no pill will suddenly make you enthusistic. But then I dont know if that is the depression talking as Im not enthusiastic about anything, the only thing that makes me moderately okay is going out for nice walks.

Also read somewhere that Cit only works for 40-50% of people.

So what is the case?

He also suggested switching to Mirtazipine, which could solve the concentration issue. But then he said Mirtaz works in an indirect way whereas Cit works in a direct way. Also all this talk of weight gain makes me reluctant to try that one, and need to have given Cit a decent go before being sure its not going to work. How long does it take!?

• Posted

Hi Sarha, I'm sorry that you dont feel any better yet and I know how frustrated you must be feeling, as you just want to see an immediate diffrence. Be patient. Just after my meds had kicked in I was hit with bad news in that my best friend had suddenly passed away. I know I would not have coped if I was not on this medication. It does not take away the things that are making you depressed, but gives you the ability to cope with things better. You should try and exercise as well, as you mentioned about going for walks, as this will also raise your seratonin levels. Stick in there.

Barney.

• Posted

I went on Citalopram last year after a sudden onset of depression and anxiety. It took about 6 weeks for the effects to start being felt and i could continue on with my life like normal. About a month ago I tried getting off the 20mg but my depression came back. Right now I am 6 weeks into getting back on and the depression is starting to become lighter. Me advice to anybody getting on it for the first time is to stick it out and not ruminate that you have depression. Keep busy and watch videos on YouTube about keeping positive. Also, look in yourself to discover what might have caused the depression. In my case one of the major causes was being extremely anti social. In fact talking with friends helps alleviate the depression symptoms. I also discovered through research that certain online addictions can drain your seratonin and cause depression.

Hope this helps

• Posted

Hi all, I've been on citalopram nearly a week now, and I must say I'm struggling to want to continue with it, I have a burning sensation when passing urine, at first I thought it may be thrush but after using treatment for thrush the pain was still there, I read on online that burning sensation can be due to the citalopram, any one else had this problem? If so how long does it last, if it's worth it in the long run I will try and persist with it xx
  • Posted

Hi

I experienced something like that in the early days - found that drinking more water so that I wee'd a lot flushed things out.

Hope this helps

Chris

• Posted

Thanks for the advice Chris, I did drink water today, the thought of tea/coffee was 🤢 maybe tomorrow I'll try to drink more....

• Posted

Wow, I could have written this myself! Finally admitted to myself I have been struggling for many years, GP prescribed 20mg. First day today, took the pill in the morning & within 2 hours I was feeling awful! Banging headache, paracetamol didn't touch it & extreme nausea, couldn't even stand the thought of entering my kitchen, let alone cooking dinner for my kids, & eating anything myself. I feel absolutely zapped of energy, & wow my eyes look like they did was I was partying (very hard 😉wink in my youth! Reading other forums I do not know if I want to continue taking them? Weeks of feeling like this will only make my depression worse, I think i might just go with counselling instead......

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.