First day of Sertraline - help

Posted , 4 users are following.

I woke up this morning in a bad way. Nausea,anxiety blurred vision, dizziness. I forced myself to go and give blood to test for thyroid problems then onto work.  I worked until 12am then came home and slept for 2 hours. Not eaten. Went to gym for short session, came home and have stress in chest and stomach so cannot eat although hungry.  Dreaded last night and not looking to tonight.  I have one daughter who says take the meds and anogth who says you are strong mum you dont need meds.  Was on meds 5 years ago and went through similar reactions.  I know I have to go through this bus does the sun have to shine and do people have to laugh and enjoy their life.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Joyce,

i have done some tips to help but Sertraline is what is know as a SSRI and can take several weeks to take effect. I am supprised you are in work, also you need to watch your diet. 

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/a-few-simple-tips-426020

• Posted

Hi David

Tks for reply.  I will look at tips.  Yes diet...cant find anything that I fancy, today had a slice of toast  this mroning and just had rice pudding for tea.  Also when I eat adrenelin runs around my body as soon as I eat.  Is this normal ?

• Posted

Remember Joyce loss of appetite is one side effect.  Some people gain others lose their appetite like I did.  Important to eat even if you don't feel like it.

lynda

• Posted

Dear Joyce.

I'M presuming you are taking this for anxiety.

Sertaline can take some time to start working, but, what it does first issimilar to rearrange all your mind files in order, because in anxiety it feels as though several thoughts are coming to your mind at once, 

Relax.....

This happens initially, keep taking your Prescribed meds, You are strong, and this has given you insight that you might need some medical help sometimes.

Sleeplessness can occur as well.... Try not to worry too much about it, You can do it.....Also try to avoid Caffeine, Any other stimulants you might be taking like Cigarettes, Pepsi/Coke/Red bull.

Try to leave relaxing activities near bedtime, a warm bath, Some reading.

Ok.... Lets follow up after a couple of days.

• Posted

Hi Joyce

I had to smile at your last remark.  I have asked myself the same question.  Annoying isn't it? What dosage are you on?  As you know the side effects are awful.  Though they do abate eventually or so I am told. Good for you for doing all the things you managed yesterday given how you are feeling.  May I ask are you on them for anxiety or depression or both.

lynda

• Posted

Hi Lynda

Im on 50mg and I am on them for anxiety.  I can function by forcing myself and it would be so easy to drop into depression.  What about yourself x

• Posted

Hi Joyce

i am into my 3rd week of 75 mg.  has not been a easy journey to put it mildly. I wii take some inspiration from you and take myself out to visit friends. Oh, I am on it for generalized anxiety which spiralled into depression.

lynda

• Posted

You must be feeling a little better on 75mg after 3 weeks and I know its not an easy journey but well done Lynda

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.