First day on citalopram

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi just took my first citalopram there 20mg just looking for a bite off help since a took it my head fells num taking hot flushes chest fells tight getting numness on my face are these symptoms normal as a was on them years ago and had something similar but doctor said it fine thay will go away any help plz thanks

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hey Maggie, these effects will go away I promise, some of them are just our anxiety at taking tablets so practice some deep breathing slowly in and out, they will settle, you just need to persevere to be well again, and you are very early stages but it will be worth it, dont worry, but do remember we imagine a lot of it due to our own anxiety, I know that now looking back to when I first started in 2013 October 1st lol date stays with you.

please remember it can be tough to start with but it has already been tough for you as it must have been to go on tablets so dont mistake what ur already feeling as been down to the tablets its really not. 

Take care, stay strong, lots of folk on here to support you remember anyone on here has already or is going thru exactly the same as you.

Anne XX

• Posted

I too started off again just a few days ago and on day 6 now and started with 20mg the first day and felt awful, my doctor has me cut it in half the next day and start with 10mg. The next three days I felt nauseated and very hot almost a flushed feeling which caused me to have really terrible anxiety. 2 days ago (day 4) was the worst of the side effects. Yesterday I actually felt somewhat normal most of the day anxiety toward the end of the day. Today has started off well too. Keeping my fingers crossed. From all that I've read and gathered it seems to get worse before getting better. I would say hang in there and stay strong and I know its easier said than done, but we are all here to support and help you get through this. Sending good energy your way! Xx -CMar
    • Posted

A have been put on them because off my anxiety cause a keep thinking am going to die all the time our am slowly dying xx
    • Posted

Maggie I was like that, even a cold had me thinking I was dying and would have panic attacks, thing is we know we are not really but our brains make us think this and take over, I remember it all so well, I tried for months to do it myself had the meds for 3 months till I dedided do or die !! so I took the Cit and I can tell you I am in a good place now back to normal and happy with no dark place looming around me day after day, feeling sick in my stomach and chest, eneded at the hospital a few times, but now all in the past thanks to Cit, but as I say its not easy but you need to take the tablets for now to get your life back to normal, the tablets have never done me any harm, or made me feel I couldnt cope so you will be ok with the kids and in a few weeks you will be better again and back to normal. xx

I know I have been on your journey so rest assured lots of help here and other citalopram forums which have more folk on them so speak with folk when ur needing to as it helps to know ur not the only one.

Anne 

• Posted

It's crazy but I feel the exact same way. My anxiety and thoughts of dying all the time has driven me to the hospital emergency room numerous times and I just can't seem to shut my brain off. I'm constantly living in fear and am so in tune with my body I can feel my blood pressure rising! Any slight chest pain turns into a major panic attack which of course doesn't feel like a panic attack in the moment. I just don't know what to do anymore. I'm really counting on this Celexa to work. I also take .5mg to 1mg of xanax a day which helps take the edge off a bit.
    • Posted

cmar this is normal for us, I had just the same experiences as you both and just about everyone else on this forum, but it takes time I am sorry but it will be worth it, rad some of the posts on Anyone NOT had any side effects on Citalopram?' as lots of folk on that forum and so many good people it kept me going when I first started to suffer anxiety after my Mam passed away.

Please know you will get there and all this will be a distant memory,

Anne  xx

• Posted

Hi cmar32 Yeh it's driven me crazy it's just on my mind 24/7 so Scarry
    • Posted

Thank you Anne! This forum has definitely been so helpful. Taking it one day at a time. Trying to stay strong. Xx
  • Posted

Thank your for answer me back a don't even want to take medication cause a have to kids just want to try do it my self as a have been like this since new year xx
  • Posted

Hi Maggie

I have been on citalopram 20mg for the past 15 months. i was prescribed them for severe anxiety and panic attacks. To be honest i did not even notice any side effect when taking them as i was already feeling so awful. Im so glad i went on them they helped me through a very difficult time and i have regained my confidence.I do not normally take medication at all so it was the final staw for me to take them. I made quite a few cahnges to my life a few of them very small but still significant in my recovery. Along with the tablets i go for holistic therapy every 2 weeks this helped to calm down my nervous system. For the first 6 months i did breathing excercises everyday. When i got stressed i hyperventilated and this resulted in me becoming dizzy then having a panic attack cause i thought i was going crazy. I now have a much better awareness of my breathing, my emotions and moods. Im in the process of coming off the medication im down to 10mg a day now. I had a bad day today and even cried in front of work collegues but i do not feel anything like i did 15 months ago and i've worked so hard to get this far. Gaining control can be difficult be also very rewarding. Give yourself time to recover and keep looking for ways to relax. The medication made me the calm person that i have always wanted to be now i am working on being that person witout the medication.

• Posted

All i can say is be patient, i spnet a lot of time worrying about the effects of the medication and feeling bad that i had to give in to taking tablets. But once i started to relax and take a bit of time for my self practising my breating etc i started to feel better. I did have a few meldowns in the first few months but instead of dwelling on that and making myself feel like a failure i decided to keep going with the medication and the relaxation techniques. Once i started to look forward and stopped looking back i somehow broke the cycle and began focusing on my future again. Remember we all have bad days or even a bad few moments in the day it doesnt have to spiral out of control if we can just move on from it.
  • Posted

Reading a lot of these type of posts on several sites and what is true is that we are all diferent and react diferently to this type of drug as it has a direct effect on our brains.

What i would suggest from my experience is that you stay in contact with your GP and keep discussing the situation with him should the symptoms continue. I attempted to beat the drug and soldiered on with them for a period which now in my opinion was TOO long. As a result I stopped taking the drug but if i had stopped earlier I beleive that I wouldn't have suffered the side effects as so severly or for as long as I have.

I hope this helps!!

• Posted

we cant depend on the drug alone we have to find other ways to help ourselves such councelling. Doing relaxation techniques, yoga, swimming and holistic therapy can really help. thats where i am at now as i am coming off the drugs and i we prefer to not have to take medication again but if i cant cope without them then i will certainly go back on them for a few months and try again the time has to be right to go off them.
    • Posted

I totally agree with your comments for me drugs are always a last resort. In the case of Cit the GP did not explain what the impact maybe  with these drugs and had i weighed up the cost and benefits i would have never commenced the treatment.

We as individuals have to find the corect path for ourselves and each path will be different.

• Posted

Thanks for reply a don't really want to take them as a got up and fell worse with them
    • Posted

My doctor explained very little about the Citalopram, i took it out of desperation. Most doctor dont have time for their patients and they see so many people with anxiety and depression everyday.
    • Posted

if you can cope with out them as you are experiencing side effects i think you are very wise to get on without them!
    • Posted

This appears quite a common occurance where doctors precribe this type of drug without the time or knowledge to explain the potential rammifications to the patient as was my experience. My view is that there appears to be a hole in the system which where in the first place time is saved but down the line people are absorbing a lot of NHS time as a result of the prescription of these drug type. This was the case and continues to be as I have had and am due more tests which as others have said will probabley prove negative and just the side effects of the drug.

• Posted

Good for you join the club of ex-cit!! I hope that it goes well for you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.