first discusion! - Brain training

Posted , 4 users are following.

Did you know that brain training can help anxiety.  An article in the psychologist mag this month talked about an experiment to see whether 13 anxiety sufferers could improve their illness symptoms by testing their brains. The results showed that they did gain benefit.

There are online brain training sites but some charge (a lot in my opinion)

But you can get brain training books from newsagents and there is a good puzzle page in the Mirror and the Mail if thats your paper.

If you are feeling really adventurous how about crosswords or sudoku.

1 like, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thank you for your post, very interesting. 😉 I do Sudokus sometimes and so find it relaxing, and also doing adult colouring books are very relaxing too. Colouring books are everywhere at the moment, they are very popular. The aim of these colouring books is linked with mindfulness, which I find helpful and calming. When you are colouring you are focussing on just one thing - the colouring, what colours you will use. This means you are focussing just on that moment and it helps you to not think about your worries for a while. 😉 I must admit, sometimes my mind is still busy with thoughts sometimes when doing it, but I do find it very relaxing and therapeutic. 😉 But different things work for different people.
  • Posted

Anything that you do which will distract you from your anxiety and focus on something else is of help. Even as simple as breathing slowly, because when you breathe slowly automatically you focus on your breathing and it takes a long time to take a single breath.
    • Posted

yup!

Another good strategy is to put a LITTLE BIT of water in your mouth and breathe through your nose only. It really helps me calm down.

Do you think this could work for you?

• Posted

this trick is scientific based☺️ Alter the focus and slow breathing or choke haha. Using ice cubes in mouth, hands in hot water faced down. It all sidetracks the adrenaline rush in the body. Good tip jp.
  • Posted

art is another reliever of stress it totally focusses the mind away from your anxious penetrating thoughts. Thanks for your replies.

Richard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.