first dose of citalapram. weird side effects

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone.

So I took my first 10mg citalapram this morning and it brought on a massive panic attack. Anyone else experienced this? It has really scared me!!!

0 likes, 13 replies

Report / Delete

13 Replies

• Posted

Others may disagree with me but if I were you I would stop it now and not take any more. This sounds like a reaction. I reacted to citalopram and stayed on it. I wish I hadn't.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I had a similar thing, a couple of weeks in. I am a lot more anxious now, but not had another one. It does scare you, but never had another one. If you are not sure speak to your GP. I've gone from 20mg to 40mg in the last few days, the side effects will only last for a week. The only thing I get is hands and feet sweating, I jump a little but apart from that it's OK. It's up to you to decide, 
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I hope you don't mind me asking but I'm wondering, are you on them for depression or anxiety? Have you tried other things like talking therapies or other ways to manage how you feel? I really wish I hadn't taken tablets. I don't mean to scare you, quite the opposite. I want to protect you.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I agree with Meteor....even if this isn't a severe reaction, it's definitely a bad reaction. The trouble is, doctors always say that you should give things a chance, but in my opinion (I've taken psych meds for over 40yrs) bad feelings only get worse. If you're criticised by your doc, remember, it's you not him/her that's taking them. It's your body and the doc doesn't have to live in it. I'm pretty down on docs right now :-)
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Very well said! I've been really messed up by meds. I'm on nothing now and trying to recover. I'd take what I started with any day. I'm so sorry you've been through so much, Blackswon.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

When I started Sertraline I had a massive panic attack like never before the next day... I know these type of meds can do that but you say it brought on a massive panic attack soon after!! I think in that case I'd agree with meteor63, it does sound more like an alergic reaction!
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I reacted badly to citalopram 10mg too, I took it for a week and it brought on panic attacks, worse anxiety and weird side effects so I stopped taking it and felt better after a few weeks. Your GP would advise you to continue with the medication because it can make you worse before it makes you better. I chose to stop. however, there are other meds so don't be disheartened. I got prescribed sertraline and I am much better on that and had no bad side effects and it made me a lot calmer x
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thanks everyone I think it def was some sort of reaction and its comforting to know I'm not alone with this
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

i also had a terrible reaction starting the first pill when i tried citalopram this past october. i had panic attacks and heart palpitations. they are among the possible side effects. i agree with others that there is probably a better drug option for you. these drugs should help you - not make you feel worse!
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up