First episode of Diverticulitis

Posted , 5 users are following.

Do you remember anything you ate leading up to your first bout of diverticulitis?  Mine was Kind Bars

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I don't know what I had that started it, but I have had it now for several weeks. Sometimes it eases and I think it's gone and here I am up at 3am when I should be sleeping 😴.

• Posted

Perhaps you should see a doctor.  When it first started for me, I just blamed the Kind bars and just waited it out for a few days.  Then I developed a fever in some of the flares and that scared me - realizing it was something more than hard-to-digest fiber.
  • Posted

I'm not sure because it can be something I ate a week before not the day before since it takes a while for the inflamation and/or infection to develope.

• Posted

This was my first episode so no flare yet. I am just starting to eat normally and not avoiding anything  since I have no idea why I got it in the first place. Everyone is different and I was told by my doctors the whole don't eat seeds, nuts, etc was debunked in a big research study 2 years ago.

• Posted

I've no idea what has caused mine but the first thing I'm going to stop is Coffee and anything else that's not decaf. I feel sorry anyone who has DID and is suffering as it can drag you down and make you feel rotten.

• Posted

Honesty, I drink a ton of coffee a day and haven't had a flare for a year - just cut out seeds, skins, popcorn, and insoluble fiber.  Good luck.

• Posted

I know it was debunked a few years ago but the main thread running through many posts is nuts, seeds, etc. cause the problems.    My doc also told me to eat everything.  When I try to add back in the things I think cause it, I get another flare up.  I honestly think researchers aren't spending alot of time on this disease and no one really knows what causes it initially and what causes the ongoing flare ups.  As I have said, I cut out all nuts, seeds, skins on veggies and fruit just to see what would happen and I've been flare free for one year.  

• Posted

Linda, it's usually something that is hard and not chewed property.

For me Its pizza with a very hard crust. Another thing is to stay away from IBuprofen

as that will irritate your colon. Drink plenty of water. No more flare ups for me.

• Posted

I do chew my food a lot more than I used to and I also stay away from over the counter pain killers as i've read they can contribute to diverticulitis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.