First minor setback

Posted , 12 users are following.

Nearly  seven weeks post TKR and I know I shouldn't moan but my knee aches and feels like it weighs a ton, and my husband says I walk as if I have a wooden leg. I feel as if I was moving much better a month after the op. Any suggestions?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Have you been keeping up with your stretching exercises? I am almost 6 months post tkr and even now and again I find I need to stretch out my leg. After I walk a bit it also seems to help. Not too fast and not too far but if I have been sitting for a bit walking and getting it "worked in" does seem to help.
  • Posted

It's just a blip maybe you have been overdoing it, changed shoes, walking differently or not stuck to exercise routine. It is still healing for many months but now you have more feeling where before it was masked by swelling numbness and medication. I am five months post op but remember the block of wood feeling!
  • Posted

Hi Gail

Your comments ring a bell with me. I'm 1 month post TKR and am so in tune with your wooden leg senario. I guess we need to hang in there but I am soooooo tired of the pain, discomfort and not sleeping.....Good luck. 

• Posted

I am 19 weeks today and I still sometimes get the stiff leg feeling if I have been doing too much.  I does go away but the not sleeping is getting to me, I have an appointment at the Docs tomorrow morning and am going to ask about the problem.
  • Posted

17/18 weeks post op and still often feels like a block of wood. Somedays I just take off without much thought to my leg and others I definately know I have been through hhe ringer. Definately feels much better once I have carried out my exercise routine but if I overdo it I will soon find out the hard way.
  • Posted

well it sounds like you need to participate in another round of PT.  The implants are all time-tested with excellent results, Physical Therapy seems to be the most reliable source of a good outcome. If you are not pushing yourself to get full extension and at least 90 degrees of flexion from weeks 1 to 8 then 2 things could happen.

1) you will not get to full extension and 90+ degrees of flexion

2) potential to walk like you have wooden leg.

I am currently day 9 post-op knee replacement - I must say it is tough to be diligent with PT.....It hurts, and my foot/ankle is so swollen that I can't do half of the exercises........If I dont get up and walk around for 5/10 minutes each hour I get very stiff and painful......

• Posted

As we've mentioned here before, whether it's soft tissue, nerves or bone healing every part of the anatomy has its own timetable and sensation. There seems to be no way of bypassing them nor is there any way of knowing when they will hit. I do believe many feel like they have outlived the need for pain meds and stop too soon only to find they have to restart that part of the process, the same with ice. Try starting the entire basics over. Also, there is the tendency to think you're ready to go full blast but you still need rest, more rest than you can imagine. Cut back on activities, get to bed earlier and grab a mid day cat nap all the while adding additional fluids throughout the day

• Posted

I don think its  a severe setback at all, this seems very normal to me, from what I remembercof the early days.  Remember you have walked a certain way for a long time and now you have something alien in your leg and you aren't trusting it to do the job.  It will weigh a ton for a while but this will go IN TIME.   I think there are too many expectations in the early days, obsessiveness about bend etc, that we forget how big this is.   Be kind to yourself, don't worry everything will follow.  Just exercises rests elevate, ice and rehydrate.   You will be fine xx
  • Posted

Hi Gail

Still very early days for you and all sounds very normal.

The important thing, when walking, is to remember to roll your foot and then when you bring your leg forward bend your knee. It is hard work, but one day you'll think 'actually I feel OK!'.

And, as others have said, keep up with the stretching.  Straightening has been an issue with both of my knees, so make sure you keep at it.

Patsy

• Posted

Thanks everyone for the input and by the way Roland I think we need an update on you. What stretching exercises work best? I'm pretty religious with the leg raises

Gail

• Posted

Gail....right now I'm still in an immobilizer and have been since March 4 so not sure how they will start me out on the bend part. I expect the 1st one will be wrapping a towel around the instep of the foot while laying on my back, head elevated, then pulling back on the towel as hard as I can and holding. 87th i s is done 10 x's to start. Then I sit on a high table grabbing the ankle of my bad leg with the back of my good leg and pulling back to pain level hold to 10 and repeat 10 x's building to 15. Usually the PT will work squatting and put me on a sled type apparatus that allows me to use my own body/leg strength to build lower body strength. This is going to be a very slow start so I'll see what happens on a day to day basis. As far as flat. I am almost there now as I am able to do leg presses during all of this immobilized period and I'm very close to zero right now. I'll Try to keep you advised as we go along
    • Posted

One additional thought......slow it down. You are doing excercise for a purpose not to set speed records. When you streatch, do it slowly, hold for a count, relax, rest in between each movement even if it's for a count of 3. Its that combination that teaches the muscles

When you walk.....slow...heel ball of the foot, toe, rest, think. That will force you to bend the knee when you walk. Tsme your time and then the good leg....same routine. At the mall they'll look at you like you have something wrong with you but let's face reality, you do. Good luck

• Posted

Thanks for the update ( sounds unbrlievably slow) and for the advice. I don't care whether people stare - I just want to get it right. Slow is good- I can do that up and down the garden path.

I wish your journey was as predictable though you seem sure of what's in store. Fingers crossed for you.

Best

Gail

• Posted

It is still quite early days gail.

Are you keeping up the exercises? Are you still having physiotherapy sessions?

It is a long and hard road to recovery from this operation but certainly for me it has been well worth it. i had TKR 3 years ago.

If you are still walking with a stick or crutches try walking without. This will help you get back to walking more normally and not so much as if you have a wooden leg.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.