First period in 16 years

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi. I'm 49 and hadn't had a period for 16 years. When I got a new doctor, I mentioned this to her (my former doctor was never concerned). My doctor ordered tests, which showed I was not in menopause. So I was then sent for a trans-vaginal ultrasound, which showed a thickened endometrial strip (17mm). I was referred to an OB/GYN at that point, and she scheduled me for a D&C, hysteroscopy, and biopsy. At my follow up, she told me the samples were pre-cancerous and recommended a hysterectomy. I decided against that. Instead, I will need to have a biopsy every six months for the next two years. In the meantime, she put me on birth control to force my periods to occur. 

I have been on the medication for two months, and my period started three days ago. It is extremely painful. I rarely had cramps with my periods, and they were always pretty heavy. The cramps I'm feeling with this feels like I am in labor. I have had five kids, so I'm not exaggerating the pain level. I have taken different pain meds, showered with hot water, and more to reduce the pain. Nothing works. The pain wakes me up and keeps me from doing things. While my periods were heavy before, it was nothing compared to now. 

Do any of you have any ideas on what's going on? Better yet, do any of you have advice for how to get through this period from hell?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kristan, wow I really feel for you having to start your periods again at 49, I must say I don’t really understand how this will benefit you, as you’ve managed for this long without periods, as it is actually quite dangerous for women to go on the pill post 40, If they are causing you this much pain, then I would stop taking them and get a second option, hugs to you xxx
    • Posted

Hi, Karen. My primary care physician and the OB/GYN said it's bad to not have a period when I'm not in menopause, because all of that lining will build up in my uterus. That's why they found pre-cancerous cells, because the lining had been building up for 16 years. 

• Posted

It judging just asking. Why are you against a hysterectomy? I know if I was told I had precancerous cells and I won’t be having anymore kids I’d have it taken out in a heartbeat. Again I’m not judging you just curious.

I feel for your pain and heavy periods. Try 4 Advil at a time. A heating pad and oddly even though it hurts to do keep moving especially bending over it helps ease the cramping 

Best wishes 

• Posted

Hi, Tricia. 

I did a lot of research on hysterectomies. The majority of them are not needed. A woman who has a hysterectomy has an increased risk of depression. I'm in disability because of the depression I already have. I don't want to make it worse and ruin my chances of recovering. A hysterectomy also means a greater risk of heart disease and other illnesses. A hysterectomy also leaves a void in the body, so there is less internal support for the spine. There are many other ways to deal with pre-cancerous and cancerous cells that don't require a hysterectomy, and surgery should also be the last resort. 

• Posted

Hi Kristan, I feel for you. Not having a period for 16 years is a super long time. I'm 35 and haven't had a period for 9 months. My lining is also 17mm. The uterine biopsy was inconclusive, so I have to get a d&c next month. I agree with you about the hysterectomy, the cons outway the pros I think. It definitely would be last resort for me. I would definitely go back to your doc about your pain issues. I hope it gets better for you.

• Posted

Thank you. I hope your D&C goes well and you don't have cancer. It's nice to meet someone else who agrees with me about a hysterectomy being a measure of last resort. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.