First physio session

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi today I had my first physio session for knee straighting and bending. It went well and he gave me lots of excercise a to do but can't see me again until 6th Aug.,,,,!!!!! Would anyone recommend seeing a private physio or just do the excercise said often at home ???

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

That's a long time to be on your own, in my opinion. I have always gone 2-3 x's a week with new stuff added each time. You will really have to have a lot of self discipline to stay with it and increase the pressure on your own.
    • Posted

I know  couldn't believe it, the NHS physio is in such demand he said. That's why I think need to go private, but will try my best to do them as he said. Not happy though Bev
  • Posted

That's a bit harsh long time to wait. Depends if you think you are able to do what has been asked.  I go every week!  Gives me something to aim for.  You shouldn't have to pay.  Jackie 
  • Posted

No you shouldn't have to pay, I only went 4 times, I had pkr, I have to say I felt a bit abandoned. I was told if I had any problems to call. I can't believe you won't be seen till August, even through the nhs that's terrible, would your g.p be able to put any pressure on hospital to increase your visits a bit? Thing is I find it very hard to now how much is enough, and when to increase, and increase with what? No doubt you are the same, . I wish you luck.
    • Posted

I know it terrible, have no faith in my doctor for any pull. Paid private for my Mri as so slow on NHS. I will try my best on my own and see how I get on, would be nice to have help and encouragement from my physio though .thank you Mandy
  • Posted

I personally would say pay for private. I'm 16 weeks post and waiting for further surgery to straighten. I was told by NHS physio not to bother coming back to them until I've had the surgery but to make sure I kept up with my exercises. I found I was struggling to keep on track so I went to a private physio at a local Spire hospital. It was approx £40 but was worth every penny. It was 45 mins and really put me back on track. We worked more on building up the strength of my leg rather than the actual knee (I can't help that without a manipulation and an Adesiolysis).

My surgery is pencilled in for the end of July so I'm going to keep going until then. The more I can improve the overall strength, the better in the long run.

We shouldn't have to pay for it as we already fund the NHS but I know the private physio is the best option for me.

• Posted

I will try it on my own for a while but as you say you need an expert. My husband will properly insist I go private a small price to pay to get better thank you Bev...keep well 😃
  • Posted

I had 5 sessions of physio at local hospital where I had op. For the last two weeks of this I also paid privately for physio, so I was at that point having two sessions per week. Knowing that the physio at hospital was about to end I then asked my GP if she would refer me on the NHS to where I was having private physio, and she has now done this.  Yes, my private sessions were £40, but if you've the ability to pay it then do so. It's no good having money if you haven't got your health. I dont agree with having to pay but when I'm in pain I don't care!  You can do the exercises at home, but just sometimes you need someone to give you guidance.......and push you a bit! Sometimes I worried when doing exercices (a) was I doing them correctly,(b) was I doing them often enough and (c) was I doing them too often! Decisions, decisions........at a time when pain is taking over everything and you can't think straight! 
  • Posted

yes yes yes !!!!!! you will lose out on too much time if you dont ,early physio very important you wont be sorry  i had physio from hospital once a week but its not the same as private  , im 9mths since revision and did have physio as i say from hospital but while your there she was attending up to 3 others at the same time so no quality time ,ive had private physio for the last 3 wks and the improvement is unreal .what im saying is i wish i had went to private earkier because i now know that i would be futher down the road by now , just make sure that physio is someone that has dealt with tkr some are only used to treating fit people good luck
    • Posted

Well you have all have made my mind up to have private physio waited 5 weeks for 1 session!! Just would like to get walking normal so will booked some sessions. My husband went made and also insists I do. Thanks for all advice Bev
  • Posted

Go private if you can - you dont want to do damage and you need expert assessment and direction at the early stage. Do it at home as well but you should progress and need to move onto different exercises. Also useful to ask physio about various 'feelings' that come - tingiling, stiffness, clunking, bruising etc.. as they can explain and see if leg is normal or what you say is normal and advise you accordingly. I would not have been without my weekly physio for those first 8 weeks. It was a godsend and I have just gone back for a bit more (private) as I had a blip but she got me back on track and I dont plan to see her again as now I am confident I can do everything correctly. 
  • Posted

Hi I am 4 weeks post op now for FKR and like you had to wait 3 weeks for appt to see physio. I went to see a private physio from day 10 been seeing her twice a week and honestly its well worth the money. You will benefit hugely and be moving around a lot more confidently. Nhs is awful Ive just written a letter of complaint! Good luck
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply, it seems the best way to go. Had my knee locked for 3 months so need to get back walking as I used to. Regards Bev

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.