First Post Op Physio

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all

So I had my first physiotherapy appointment yesterday, 8.5 weeks post SSF, Anterior and Posterior repair.  My consultant recommended this particular physio to me and I must say she was excellent, much better than any physio I've seen in the past!  I am writing this post as it may help some of you who are still in recovery.

I'm 8.5 weeks post now and had a few concerns  which she helped me with yesterday

First concern - The Lump!  The lump is NOT my cervix, it is the back wall which faces my bladder and its barely a lump now, its just where the stitch was and how it has healed, she said perfectly normal.  I can't 'feel' it anymore when walking/sitting etc and could only 'see it'  - this is all fine so a real relief

Second Concern - Bladder.  I didnt have problems with my bladder pre surgery but now I will go for a wee and I think I have finished, stand up and then leak.....very annoying.  She reasssured me that this is totally normally and could be down to a kink that has been ironed out since the surgery or just weakness of the pelvic floor which we are going to work on.  I've got a 'bladder diary' to fill out-  oh joy!

Third Concern - The VAGINA....and laxacity... One of my problems pre surgery was not being able to feel sex as I was 'too large' and was worried tht this hadn't been fixed.  When she examined me I could feel her fingers, but its not the '17 year old vagina' i was expecting and there is definitely still some laxacity.  She told me that  they assess pelvic floor strength on a scale of 0-5  - From what I had told her she presumed that pre -surgery I would have been a '1' but now i'm at '3' and she will work with me to get me to '5'.  This she said will also 'tighten' things up....I hope!

4th Concern - Exercise.  She assured me that I could start light exercise now, but be careful not put pressure on my pelvic floor.  She is going to write a plan for my personal trainer - which will include interabdominable exercise, cardio and body weights.  I asked her about 'core exercises' and she told me to be careful not to do anything that causes your abs to 'dome' - which is most of them!  No sit ups. leg raises etc... She is going to show me some exercises next week!  No Tennis until the 3 month mark as its 'high impact'

I hope that the above helps some of you - but those at the start/middle of recovery please take it easy and don't beat yourself up - every week is different, its bloody tough!!!  Stay strong, there is light at the end of the tunnel!!

K x 

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Brilliant to hear this. I am trying to find a physio (I have moved so can't get to my old one). Great idea for physio to give info to PT, I'm going to ask for that! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.