first time caller

Posted , 23 users are following.

Tomorrow i will be going in for a tkr, scared to death, yesterday 3 people i had talked to about this only weeks ago have now told me  "if I had to do it over, I wouldnt do it" I'm 56yrs old, work on my feet 9hrs a day for ...lets say 40yrs. I am now 50lbs over weight, i came to this decision because i stopped walking (after work) couldnt ride my bike (that is my great love) and seemed to be p*ssed off most of the time. I want my small joys back. Any advise will be appreciated.

1 like, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Oh Rosebud, my heart goes out to you. I'm now 12 months post op and now you've made your mind up to go ahead there is little point in listening to tales of woe. It's tough, I underestimated how tough but you will get through it, you will be tired and in pain and feel you're making little to no progress at first but it will come together. Rest when you can, keep up the pain meds, exercise even when it's the last thing in the world you want to do and keep hydrated. Improvement is measured in weeks not days, be patient and break it down into small chunks, get the Op out of the way, get home and so on and so forth. I wish you the very very best of luck, it's going to be fine, hard work but fine, all the best

Deb

• Posted

I had a pkr 11weeks ago, and tomorrow I go in to get the other one done, and untill I come round, I won't no if I had a pkr or tkr, and I really don't care as long as they do it, I am 54, and also about 50lbs over weight, because over the last year I haven't been able to do my favourite thing which is hiking, so when given a choice of staying as I was, and with that being completely p.........off, or giving this ago, it's such an easy answer, I'm not saying it's easy, no pain, no gain as they say, but fingers crossed it WILL be soooooo worth it. I'll get my life back, I'm certainly not ready to sit in an arm chair all day just yet. So don't be scared just go for it , what have you got to loose really? It really depends and how you see your life without having it done I guess. Any way it can't be that bad, if I'm having the other one done already.😀
  • Posted

Do it I had mine 5.3.15 and for weeks after I regretted it but I havent got half the pain I had before and I wouldn't hesitate to have the other one done

What have you got to loose you can't do things now so it will only get worse??

• Posted

Don't you just love these people and their words of wisdom. Unfortunately some of us have no choice but TKR. I'm 22 weeks post op and scheduled for further surgery next week as my leg isn't straight (because I was left too long waiting for surgery, it just deteriorated to nothing, I'm 36 so was considered too young. Mine was then so bad that my hospital couldn't have me operated on as it was considered too major for them...the list goes on).

Although this has been the toughest thing I've ever gone through (mine is very complex with all bits through my shin etc) I don't regret it at all. My only outlook was a wheelchair prior to this. Yes my leg is still giving me problems, it feels stronger than it has in years and I trust it not to give out on me.

If you can no longer indulge in basic pleasures, you've got nothing to lose by having it done and everything to gain.

You just need to prepare yourself that it won't be an overnight fix. You have to really work at it and it will be painful. The sense of achievement though when the movement returns and the pain lessens is immeasurable.

Whilst most people on here have had dark days, the majority of us know that we are better off with our new bionic knees.

Stay positive. It will be worth it x

• Posted

I think you have made a good decision especially as you are relatively young.  A friend of mine has been walking with a cane for about a year now and packing on the pounds as she is afraid of the operation. That's not a good way to spend the rest of your life.

I'm 67 and had my right knee done 7 weeks ago.  Yes there is pain and discomfort but careful use of painkillers helps a lot.  Here in the US Medicare pays for an ice machine that circulates chilled water through a sleeve round your knee and that helps greatly to reduce pain and swelling - you can use it at night also since the ice doesn't touch your skin.  If you have to buy your own I would say it is well worth the cost. First steps in the morning are the hardest but once I get going I am fine and actually better walking than sitting or lying down. I'm off the painkillers now having scaled them back gradually and also don't use the ice machine any more as the swelling is moslty gone.

Everyone said to me "You MUST do the exercises" and I am doing, twice a day. I know a couple of folk who did not do that and they haven't had such good results. I really pushed hard with the bending and had over 100 degrees by the third day but I know I was very fortunate in my surgeon who generally has stellar results. 

• Posted

I'm 3wks post op and to be very honest I found the operation and hospital aftercare great, my surprise came with being dependant on others post op, I was weepy,tired stressed and totally defenceless. Pain was only from bruising and swelling, All these things pass and now 3 weeks on the bruising has tempered down and with exercise the swelling is subsiding, I'm getting a better bend each day and have come to terms with needing help from others for a while. I will need my other knee renewing very soon and will have a better view on it all. Any pain and stress is only short term and my future is looking better. I've been very honest with you so you will know what to expect, your not on your own now that you've found this forum. I have found it invaluable. Good luck 
  • Posted

Hi Rosebud,

Good on you for making the decision to have the operation,i am 3 weeks post Tkr,and yes there have been and still will be times when is so difficult,i never expected it to be so hard and exhausting,i was more concerned about the operation than the recovery,and i would now say the op is fine ect,its the recovery when the hard work begins...im 52,was only in hospital 2 days,and now in my 3rd week and my physio says im doing great,the pain will ease and each day you will see slight improvements,please keep us posted as to how things go..Good luck x

• Posted

Hi Rosebud

I won't pretend that it's an easy recovery, because I've found that it isn't, but it is worth it in the long run.

My first TKR was in Dec 2012 and that knee is great now.  I didn't know anyone who had had a TKR, so I didn't know what to expect...even though I'd watched the videos on how it's done.

There are many people who sail through...only most of them won't be on a website like this!  Listen to your body, exercise as instructed by the consultant and physio and take your mess and ice and elevate.

I hope that you have family/friends to support and encourage you, as I believe that that seems to make a difference.

I wish you all the best.  Let us know how you get on.

Patsy

• Posted

If you consider that probably if you do NOT do it the future will only hold worsening pain and less mobility.  if you DO do it, you will have a miserable month or so, and a hard few months recovering, but you should, provided all goes well, eventually be free of the restricting pain you have now.  For the first 8 weeks or so I would have said what your friends have. . I wouldn't do it again . .but now, at six months, I realise short term pain is better than a lifetime of pain!  But be prepared. . get your house ready . .move loose rugs, if you can get a seat that will make your loo higher (a great help, believe me!), maybe prepare some ready meals to avoid the need to cook, buy some plastic glasses and plates,  . .OH dear just realised you are going in tomorrow!!!  Not much time for any preparation is there!  Well, don't worry too much. Take each day as it comes rest as and when you can, and curse as much as you feel like!  Keep in touch with the forum . .it really helps!
  • Posted

All the very best for tomorrow. I am sure everything will be well with yousmile
  • Posted

I am nearly 10 months post op from TKR If I needed the other one done I would say YES PLEASE. Today Ive spent another day working in the allotment. I go to the gym & ride my bike without problem
  • Posted

Good luck - you'll be fine!

Like everyone says, it is tough, very tough, but you'll get there. I'm 49, 9 weeks post TKR and I posted a very similar terrified message beforehand.

The support you will receive from people on here is wonderful - someone will have experienced some of the many, many symptoms and feelings you will have on the road to recovery.

Best wishes, and we'll see you on the other side.

• Posted

I'm 17 weeks po tomorrow for new plastic knee cap and metal trochlea. I'm 56 years old and waited 11 years for op because I was considered too young before! I wore knee support for a long time and although knee is now stable, surrounding muscles have severe wastage which I'm working hard to build up. Would I have had op if I'd known about my struggle now.......yes I would!  Be prepared for pain, take whatever pain relief is offered, do exercices (my saviour has been my exercise bike), plenty of icing, sleep when you feel like it, take any assistance offered, know that on days when you're depressed it wont be the same tomorrow, laugh and cry (sometimes both at the same time lol!) and if you dont swear already.......learn! Don't be disheartened if you think one day you've made progress and yet the following you feel like you've stepped backwards........we've all been there and its a pain in the a*** .......but stick with it. It's a strange journey!

Good luck.......this time next week the op will be over.......and you can look forwards and not back!  Being scared is NORMAL! 

• Posted

Rosebud I'm laughing because we had s pre K student last school year called Rosebud. Neverthess everyone is different. A weeks weeks even a few days ago, I would have said no way. But most of the pain is gone. By the way I am also 56 years young and was tired of missing out on life. So do it and everything will work out. I am 10 weeks post op after TKR. Not where I need to be, but much better than I was. FYI: I am to return to work in two weeks and at the doctors today. We will see how that goes. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.