first time caller

Posted , 23 users are following.

Tomorrow i will be going in for a tkr, scared to death, yesterday 3 people i had talked to about this only weeks ago have now told me  "if I had to do it over, I wouldnt do it" I'm 56yrs old, work on my feet 9hrs a day for ...lets say 40yrs. I am now 50lbs over weight, i came to this decision because i stopped walking (after work) couldnt ride my bike (that is my great love) and seemed to be p*ssed off most of the time. I want my small joys back. Any advise will be appreciated.

1 like, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi looks like your the same as everybody else on this forum you have got to the point of no return!!!! dont worry now because you have made the decision .its the only way to go its easy for people to say this to you after they have had to go down this road themselves  this is very selfish of them you go for it i was a year younger than you when i got it done and many on here are younger so age is not an issue , its not easy road after but what choice do we have ?none !!! the fact you love the bike will help because your quads are probably strong from it and thats great try not to think of negatives from those people i bet there out enjoying life after there tkr the very best of luck and come back to let us know how you got on
  • Posted

Rosebud82 i had my r tkr done 12 weeks post op my left one is due january 2 2016 cant wait for it i was 5 years on do

uble crutches and walk with one now  i will definitly have the other one done even now but surgeon said 6 months at least lol go for it though you will certianly have tough days but not as tough as bone on bone knees thats

afull and permanent  so again dont be afraid it is a new world for me and i know it will be for you too regards danie

• Posted

I had no idea so many people would respond. This site is an amazing find! Thank you to everyone. Your honest answers and warm wishes...well, look out for Rosebud bike trails!! I thought feeling like this, maybe I wasnt ready, but the reality is i'm NORMAL!! 

Thank you all

• Posted

I'm 56 too. You need it done so grin and bear it but to get maximum benefit you need to lose weight as well. I had mine nearly six months ago and now know it's my weight and not my knee still holding me back. The other knee will also benefit and losing weight could avoid or delay the other knee being done in my case. First things first - recover and whilst off work focus on yourself and your health good luck . Some people regret it at first - I did and now I am turning corner slowly . Surgeons don't do unnecessary surgery so you have no choice be guided by your body not other people. I rode a bike three months after and it felt amazing and now I am swimming and have even joined a gym!
  • Posted

Hi Rosebud.......had TKR at age 67!  Exactly 10 months age.Girl, you will be just fine,,,,eventually 😊. Recovery is a monkey 🐒 but like someone else mentioned measure your recovery by weeks not days. Pain, heck yeah, not going to sugar coat it, sleepless nights all of that.....but you know what , I have no regrets and I'm sure you won't have any either. I lost 25 pounds, and I started Mall walking. I feel good. Now the problem is MY OTHER KNEE!!!! Going to see my ortho doctor next week for a cordazone shot or? Just see what my x-rays suggest. Enough about me! At any rate Rosebud,hang in there just take it show and keep a positive mind set!💃
  • Posted

Oh bless you, your emotions must be all over the place tonight!

I wish we'd had a bit longer to put your mind at ease.

I'm 19 (I think, not counted lately!) weeks post TKR, and saw my surgeon today and he's put me on his list for knee #2. I'm so relieved I could cry! Don't get me wrong, it's a really tough operation, but I'm in a position now to compare an operated knee to an arthritic, bone on bone knee, and it's SO worth it!

I wish you all the very best for tomorrow, and please keep coming on here when you feel up to it, you'll get more support than you could ever imagine xx

• Posted

Rosebud, I am a 75 yr. old lady who is also 50 pounds to heavy. ^ weeks ago I had a TKR.and to be perfectly honest it was the most painful thing I have ever had done in my life. I used to think OH why did I do this. By week 3 things were so much better, still painful but I stopped taking the pain meds and only took Tylenol extr strenght. Pt is very uncomfortable but listen to them they are there to help you. At the end of 3 weeks, I no longer used my cane and could walk without pain and I can do stairs one step at a time. I am now driving and doing just about everything. Sleeping is still difficult so take naps. I am so glad I had this done, I am in less pain now than I was before the operation. I have not been without problems, I am still working on bending my knee, I can straighten my leg but the bend is coming slower. So see things do get better, hang in there, have a positive attitude and be thankful for the little things. Much success with your knee, I know you will do great!!!
  • Posted

Rosebud, me again, I had my TKR 6 weeks ago, sorry for the typo.
  • Posted

You will not regret it. I had bilateral TKR on 29.3.15 & the postop pain was much better than bone on bone pain. Discuss good pain management with your doctor to ensure you are able to do exercises as comfortably as possible. I have my life back after 2 years of pain & immobility.
  • Posted

Oh Rosebud. I wish you well. I'm only 5 weeks post TKR so I'm probably not the person to ask as I've only really just started recovery. Don't underestimate how hard it will be - I know I did and coming to terms with that took a toll. I was SO not appreciative of the journey and how hard it would be BUT I couldn't go on, like you, losing so much of life - so it had to be done. Good luck, and let us all know how it turns out. You have all our best wishes, I'm sure. 
  • Posted

Good luck for today I am 16 weeks post op back at work and waiting to have the other knee done it is normal to be scared I was terrified before hand but it was fine look forward to hearing from you soon x
  • Posted

OK. I had TKR 3 years ago and it has been successful. If I had to have the other knee replaced at sometime I would go through it again.

It is a long hard road but certainly for me it has been worthwhile in the end.

Ofcourse there can be complications and I am lucky that I have not had any of them.

I wish you well with your operation.

Take care and keep in touch

Praying for you

Love Sarah xxx

• Posted

Probably a bit early to ask but how are you? Hope op went well, now for the recovery. Take it easy and follow all the advice offered on this forum.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.