First time on a forum..recently diagnosed with GAD

Posted , 2 users are following.

This is my first time ever doing an online forum so new to all this. I'm 28 years old in good shape. I've had anxiety my whole life.. And always tried to control it without professional help. About a year ago I slipped a disk in my neck and have other back pain so I was on Vicodin for about a year just low dose.. 1-2 a day. And then I went off and started reading online about withdrawal and it send my anxiety through the roof long story short I ended up reading all this stuff online and internalizing the symptoms. I ended up having some sort of nervous break down and went to my fam doc and had a long desscioson she referred me to pchycirsit and she told me I have GAD and my fam doc put me on Celexa and Xanax. I've been on the Celexa for about 3 and a half months not sure of it works? I know the Xanax do I only take .05 a day and sometimes half that.. My anxiety seems under control but I don't know if it's the Xanax or the Celexa? I feel as if I didn't have the Xanax if be anxious like I use to bc I still get back anxiety but as soon as I take the Xanax I'm fine for the day.. Anyone else on these meds?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I'm not on either. Hav you discussed with doc about which it's more likely to be. Does he or she recommemd you regularly take the xanax or is bit up to u how much you take daily?

• Posted

The Celexa is once a day.. And Xanax as needed I usually take the .05 a day and I know the Xanax helps.. She thinks I need to be on the Xanax and Celexa but not to get carried away with the Xanax bc of their addictive nature.. but I've been to see her about 3 or 4 times and she said I'm doing right with my Xanax I never come to get early fills and don't abuse them so I guess I'll just stick with the Xanax and Celexa since it works until she thinks I'm ready to go off.. Don't wanna be on meds forever! Do you have anxiety disorder? Thx for the reply smile

• Posted

Unfortunately I do for many years. It's only recently that things are improving.

I've been on paroxetine a long time and quetiepine many years.

I had psychosis which brought on panic attacks.

It feels like I've been on meds so long feels normal to me now.

I'll be honest I've been on and off paroxetine 20 yrs and quetiepine 13 years. But that's me and when it first happened I was really really bad. I Shud hav had the anti psychotic 95 same as the paroxetine but I couldn't explain properly .

Sounds like your doing well working out doses and what works and seems like you have good relationship with your doc.

I've always had anxiety just was shy introvert youngest of family, bossier dominant older siblings, weak parenting.

• Posted

My heart goes out to people with mental illness of any. I read all about psychosis and bi polar disorders before I seeked help with my anxiety bc I thought it was more than anxiety I had even tho no one in my fam has disorders like that other than anxiety. But I can't so obsessed and paranoid about have something like pchycosis or bi polar or skits that I read so much about the disorders my Brian started mimicking the symptoms. During my break down I started seeing and hearing things it really scared me so that's when my doc sent me to shrink and I talked to her for a while and she said sometimes if you read for months like I was doing and already have bad anxiety you can cause yourself to hullcinate. Crazy how the brain works. But since my anxiety has been addressed and I'm medicated and stopped reading symptoms online I'm in a better place.. Like you know anxiety never goes a way and I still have my days but having a good doc and proper meds makes it a lot easier to cope. Thanks for sharing your story.

• Posted

Your welcome.

I never realised that ur brain could start picking up symptoms after reading up on it alot. Yeah reading up don't help like on poogle.

Hope ur back neck pain is ok. Do u have to do any physio or see chiropractor?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.