First time taking Anti-depressants, six week, second week on 20mg.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, 

This is the first time ive ever posted on a forum, or looked for advice but i feel im on a journey where i need to accept im not well and i guess this is another step for me.

I am on my six week, and second week of citalopram 10mg then up to 20mg. I feel like they have just stopped working? The third week of 10mg, i felt like i was walking on air, i was functioning and had distance from my thoughts, but they've returned and with vengeance. The thoughts are stopping me from sleeping again, and i cant function theyre taking over. Has anyone else felt like this? i'm just back again stuck in my room, avoiding the world rolleyes

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hello, what your are feeling is completely normal. when you start an anti depressant, or increase your dose, you normally experience increased anxiety initially, ie feel worde. after a few weeks, the side effects start to die down. each time you increase your dose, its like starting over again. for the first 6 weeks, you are likely to alternate between depression, feeling okay, and anxiety. after roughly 6 weeks, you should start to become more balanced, and improve. your dose increase has started this process again. stick with it, its a matter of getting enough time under your belt, on your new dose. dont think you would have necessarily been okay if you hadnt increased your dose, its likely that you were going through a good phase on the old lower dose. its a bit trial and error finding the correct dose for you, and it takes a long time to work.

• Posted

Thankyou for this, i think you are right with the alternating feelings. I knew about the side effects but i didnt realise just how impacting they would be. I will try and stick it through. 
  • Posted

I was exactly the same when I went up a dose! It’s like starting all over again. I spent nearly 3mnths stuck in my room avoiding the world, but Stick with it and they should start to work again! I hope  you feel better soon.  
  • Posted

I was exactly the same when I went up a dose! It’s like starting all over again. I spent nearly 3mnths stuck in my room avoiding the world, but Stick with it and they should start to work again! I hope  you feel better soon.  
    • Posted

Thankyou. Im glad you came out the other side smile I think i just needed a bit of understanding and youve given me it 
  • Posted

hi annabonana,every time you change your mgs from 10mgs to 20mgs ,you will find that the side effects change as well ,so you get side effects when you start on 10 mgs and when you go up to 20 mgs you have  the side effects again ,.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.