First time user

Posted , 11 users are following.

I've recently been prescribed citalopram 10mg for my anxiety. I've yet to take them due to...You guessed it my anxiety! Shocker. My main worry is the side effects. I don't mind a dry mouth or a headache, the milder effects are ok. I'm worried about it effecting me at work or when I'm out. I guess I just need some reassurance that everything is gonna be ok. My anxiety is ruining my life. I need a break from all the worry. Is anyone taking this dosage?

A worrier not quite a warrior yet

Thanks guys

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

hi there , i m takin 10mg cit i have been on them for 2 month ... i was put on them for anxiety,, is been a rollercoaster ride  but now i feel bit better camer is up and down they not fast fix but, some people dont get so many side effects i was the unlucky one and got most of them but they do go after 3 weeks ,, gd luck,,,
    • Posted

Thank you for replying Ben! I'm sorry that you had most side effects! But I'm glad you're doing ok now. I think I'm just over worrying about what might happen, which could bring on side effects anyway. I will think about taking them more today and hopefully I'll bite the bullet and go for it! Thank you again! And good luck for the future 😊

• Posted

what ever u do dont read to much on the side effects, thats the way i start what if this side effect what if that only to make my anxiety fire,, my mistake,, i had to take them in the end coz i could feel my anxirty was takin over my life... so best of luck and there is lots of people here who can answer ur questions same for me when i was a mess in the beginning all i was hearing it dose get better and it has,,, all the best
    • Posted

I'm so glad I have people to speak to about anxiety. I do have my friends but there's only so many times I can mention the same thing over and over again. I am leaning towards taking them. Perhaps tonight. I'll keep you guys updated.

Thank youuuu!

• Posted

I know what you mean about the worry to even start them stopping you from starting... it took me some time after prescription too (I'm on 20mg). 

The side effects will vary from person to person and can come and go and peak and trough while your body adapts - I've had periods I've felt ok and periods where the side effects have been more challenging to deal with. I had to take some time off work but after getting into a better routine of taking them I have found the side effects more manageable and I am now about 6 and a half weeks in. 

All I can say is it does get easier to deal with and adapt but you won't know how it will affect you until you try, but don't focus on what side effects you might get, focus on the primary effect that following through can have on you and your life. I'm still taking them because from all I've read on here and from the support of other users, things do get better and it feels like I'm taking a step to improve anxiety & depression so even when the side effects are at their worst, it's reassuring to feel some control and imagine a better time.

Just make sure you are taking them at a reasonably consistent time of the day - I tried taking mine really late at night, around 23:00 and felt the tiredness difficult to deal with, I asked for advice on here and am incrementally shifting to an earlier time - but that's just me.

Good luck with it, we all know how hard it is taking the first step and taking them but it really can make a positive difference, and you'll get plenty support and help on here with everything

• Posted

I always look at the side effects haha so bad of me. Even my friends told me not to. I'm starting a new job and I just don't want it to interfere I guess. A massive thank you to you and to everyone! I do feel more at ease about taking them. I might start them tonight, just to get it done! But ill see how i feel then 😊😊😊

• Posted

If it helps at all, I think it took me a week or so between prescription and finally taking them, I kept thinking 'what if this side effect occurs' and all that then as Michelle said below it was a case of anxiety interfering with life so nothing to lose, then I finally just took it and I think I had built it up so much in my head that I was expecting all sorts and I remember just thinking 'oh, that was a bit of an anti climax' and got on with the rest of my evening. 

I know it's tough building it up and it is a big step, but you can do it smile good luck with the new job as well

• Posted

Hi Kerrie

I have been on them for 17 years

I would definitely recommend you take them in the morning

Also it helped me if I accepted the side effects were side effects and they wouldn't last. Leave the housework, be lazy It won't last!

• Posted

Dont hold off taking them if your anxiety is interefering with your life then u have nothing to lose x Yes u do get some side affects but they might be minimal i am 6 weeks in and feeling really good x
  • Posted

Hi Kerrie

I’m on 20mg and take them for depression and anxiety. I have been on them for 6 weeks today.

The first couple of weeks were bad with headaches etc but I just thought of it as having a cold and that it will go. I’m also doing CBT which I find helps a lot! 

I’m feeling a lot better now, the anxiety is still with me slightly but I am able to cope with it a lot more. 

The meds will definitely help you and just think how much better you feel after. Everything will be ok, and you will get better. 

Stay strong, everyone is here for support. 

Xx

• Posted

If your worry about side effects effecting your work or social life..it would be wise to split the tablets in half..it will be kinder to your system..take care
  • Posted

I have been on citalopram for about four weeks now, 10mg the first week and 20mg ever since. I have unfortunately been hit pretty hard by the side effects. They are starting to clear up and I am feeling much better though. I still have morning anxiety but once I get up and make myself go I am able to get through the day alright just feel pretty flat. This is my second time using citalopram and I had the dame experience but obviously it is worth it once you get toi the other side. I don't know about the advise to not read about the side affects, if I hadn't and went through what I did I may have given up on them. Being educated and knowing that a lot of what I was feeling was just due to the meds taking their course made it easier to be patient. Another thing I would recommend is to not just rely on the meds to solve everything, and try to find ways that you can involve yourself with the recovery. I have started a mindfulness meditation program and this has helped to empower me and made me feel like maybe there is something I can do about it. Also use this forum. It helped me tons to talk to people going through the same process and to talk with people that had already gone through the process and had seen success. Hang in there it will get better and if you ever need to talk we are all here together!

• Posted

Hi Kerrie,  i got my prescription filled and looked at the bottle for 5 weeks. I found this blog and read alot of threads and decided to take. I did have crazy side affects in the first few weeks. I’m on 10 mg from the start I had to cut pill in half for 6 days but I’m at 10 and tomorrow is Day 40. If I had to do it again I would definitely. Please try the meds. They really have helped me. Before I took them I had really bad panic attacks which I was not convinced that was what they were. I was hospitalized 2x. Crazy and now I’m getting my life back. There are great people here to help you through it. Just ask and be open and you will get better. 

Trust us!!! Keep us posted how you are. 

Will20275

• Posted

Hi Kerrie,

I've been on 10mgs of citalopram for 6 weeks now..I feel 3/4 myself again,but go though blips of anxiety still..I recently talked to GP and he recommends 15mgs because I do feel better..He says try 15mgs for same amount of time I've been on 10mgs..Hit up Katecogs on this forum..She has been a Godsend to me with very good advice..Hope you recover soon 😁

Take Care,

Brian

• Posted

Hi Kerrie,

I know everyone is different but I didn't get any side effects apart from feeling a little dazed the first couple of days I took 20mg. I'm now on 40mg and still haven't had any side effects.

Hope this helps x

• Posted

Thank you Lois, I feel really sorry for everyone having to put up with all the nasty side effects as well as the depression and anxiety sad must be awful! x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.