First timer on Citalopram

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi I'm starting my citalopram tomorrow. Any advice as to when to take it. I've heard night time is best. Is this an on going medication now for anyone. Has anyone managed without it after a month or so ?

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Cit can be tough going to start wi for some but others breeze through take each day as it comes let us know how ur getting on good luck ☘
  • Posted

Right first morning after taking first tablet. Very hard to wake but that's me every morning! Feeling tired still and I feel like I've had a very strong coffee, jittery. And until I got out of bed I was fine but then when I moved the nausea hit. Its not too bad but I know its there! So far so good. Thanks for all the support!
    • Posted

Morning kerry, first of all well done for taking the first step 😀 you will feel like poo for the first week or so but it will get better, I got a few hot flushes and panick attacks too but just kept telling myself it's all side affects, thank you for posting again glad we can be some sort of a help xx
    • Posted

Morning Michelle I could do with the hot flushes I'm freezing. Lol. So far the nausea is bearable but I know it's there. Comes and goes.
    • Posted

hey guys, take comfort in the side effects "weird yes I know" when I satrted and felt like mud I would always think what good it must be doing to repair my crooked wires in my brain, hard to think like this when sick and all that but its a good thinking tool to change the negative thinking and trasnfer to positive wink 
    • Posted

Hi Stevo

Has cit help with your negative thinking ?

• Posted

Hey Don I belive I have reached a point where i am well balanced and dont have any negative thoughts at all, the main thing is I have hope which was not teh case a year ago when I started anti depressants I thought I was never going to shake it!! But we do it just takes mixture time patience and lots of courage which I'm sure everybody has so hang in there dont give up ignore weird thoughst or negativeity wink
  • Posted

Hi quick update. I've been taking pills for almost 2 weeks. Nausea bearable, still very tired. Still negative thoughts. Is this normal?
  • Posted

Hi Kerry, yep normal side effects can take a few weeks month/s they ease however until you almost but forget them! Hang in there wink
    • Posted

Thanks Stevo. I will have to get another script as I only got 4 week supply. I felt the other day like I had a huge knot in my stomach, very upset and very negative thoughts.
    • Posted

Yeah with some it can feel worse before it feels better I had terriable anxiety when I started but after a few days it eased and I've only had 1x anxiety attack since being on it which is a year everyones different though.
  • Posted

Hi Kerry, I have been on Citalopram 20 mg for a few years now, and feel pretty good.  I take mine before I go to bed, as I have trouble sleeping and it does seem to help in that department as well as the anxiety.  I didn't have any real problem adjusting to the medication, which was a surprise, as I usually don't react well to meds of any kind...my body just does not like them.  I have health issues and am in a lot of pain, but pain meds make me very sick, so I don't take them.  I'd rather have my wits' about me and be in pain, than to be sick and in pain too.  I would say it took about 2-3 weeks before I noticed a difference, so it must take a little time to get into your system.  Someone mentioned their potassium levels were low, you should tell your regular doctor about being on this medication, I am on other medications, so I am on potassium as well, and I have blood work every 2-3 months to check all kinds of things including my potassium...so I am ok there.  It is always important to make sure your regular doctor knows everything you are taking!.  Good luck to you Dear!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.