First try sex 7 weeks after a&p repair

Posted , 6 users are following.

Evening all??

Well...it's been an emotional few weeks and I'm not sure my op has been a success...lots of bulging and days of feeling v uncomfortable since week 5.

However, sex life is very important to us and I was keen to try...which we did. It felt great, not painful but partner could feel some stitches high up so we were more careful. All great. But I've been feeling quite tender all day and am now getting cystitis symptoms.

Has anyone else has this? I'm worried I may have damaged everything? x

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hello amanda. I can remember I had sex following my surgery and I had similar symptoms but the following day or the day after they had subsided. By then I was allowed a bath and that helped. It is common to have these symptoms because you still haven't healed completely and won't for some time yet. See how you feel tomorrow and if you still have the symptoms then put in a urine sample at your GP surgery or speak to your doctor. Remember everything will be very sensitive.

• Posted

Thank you so much matron!

I have a prescription for Nitrofurantoin from my consultant to take if I have any urine infection symptoms (as this was most difficult symptom pre op). I thought I might take 3 day dose (it's just one each bedtime). Or would that be overkill???

• Posted

No I don't think it would be overkill and to be honest I would do exactly the same if I were in your position. Urine infections are horrid and you could have a low grade infection. 

• Posted

Well I'm 7wks post op and I still have some stitches. It was so sore on the way in and I'm sure that I have been sewn up too much. Yesterday I saw my consultant and she said just keep having lots of sex. She said the stitches will be in for a long time yet as they use about 3 different types during the op.

• Posted

Hi Amanda, I control the cystitis (after the op 8 months ago I tend to have cystitis the following day after sex) this way:

Before sex I pee

After sex I pee

I take 1 concentrated cranberry capsule a day and the day after sex I take 2.

With this easy things I haven't had cystitis any more.

Hope this help!!! Hugs!!!!

• Posted

Cranberry capsules! Brilliant...that's a great natural solution. Thanks Hijadeonagro x

• Posted

Well it's taken me 9mths following only anterior repair with mesh, to finally have sex where entrance wasn't sore afterwards, & also not have any other post sex symptoms!! Other times I would be sore around entrance & have a thin yellow discharge for couple of days. No infection symptoms. And no lube now. We didn't attempt it till I think 9wks although given all clear at 7wks.

• Posted

Wow 9 months!! If I have to keep trying for that long and get sore every time it will put me off for a lifetime! I had an anterior and posterior repair and the surgeon said before the op "you are young and obviously will still want to have sex so I will try not to make you too narrow". I suppose it doesn't help that my husband is massive in the trouser department!

• Posted

Haha love it. My Urogynae decided just as I was about to get wheeled into theatre that he would only do anterior repair and not posterior as well after all. He said he didn't want to make me too tight!! Sheeesh. But I'm disappointed that it wasn't all done in one surgery as the prospect of it all over again is horrible. And I will now never know if I would have ended up too tight! And still could after posterior repair when it becomes inevitable that it needs fixing!!

• Posted

At least you laugh about it, I.would wanted to 'kill' him. I did anterior and posterior repair and I asked the to give a few stiches at the entry point lol to make it all tight. I'm very happy. How are you going to do with that? Are you thinking about doing another surgery? Or are you happy with that? smile

• Posted

Hi amanda, I only started having sex at 8th week, it went fine, but I have the habit of taking pictures of my... You know, to compare with pictures before the surgery. That said, I saw bulges and swelling and things didn't look great, however is normal after a major surgery like what we had. It will all go to the right form but it takes time. When you have the first appointment after the surgery the doctor will tell you how things look, in the meanwhile if you're like mine and overt think things, give them a call, tell them you had the surgery and you don't feel well and ask them to see you earlier, I did that and I found out that what I was seeing was the imen skin (sorry if is not the correct word biggrin that was stretched by the labours and was cut on the surgery and was left there. I joke about it, after 5 children I still have my imen lol apparently that skin tears when we have sex but it remains there, and that makes sense actually only I never thought about it. Don't stress too much as is not good for you, trust me I know, and I know how difficult it is for us women. But you have something good, sex was good for both and that is a yayyyy regarding the stiches it can take a while for all of them to fall down, but all of that is normal. Best of luck

• Posted

Hi Ana! I also have that imen skin, I thought it was another prolapse but my physio told me what it was! I didn't rely totally that he was right but reading your comment makes things clearer!

I love this forum, hahaha how many things to learn...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.