First week of Citalopram

Posted , 2 users are following.

On my fifth day of Citalopram 10mg, and supposed to increase to 20mg / day in five days time.

Did anyone else find themselves becoming [i:6f22983ed0]more[/i:6f22983ed0] anxious and irritable? Not sure if it's the underlying problem or a side-effect, but am definitely more crabby lately and seem to occasionally fly off the handle over the most trivial things :evil:

Also, instead of eating more, I seem to have totally lost my appetite sad I'm thin enough as it is, so the thought of losing more weight just worries me even more. That, coupled with shocking diarrohea, and I'm starting to wonder whether they're worth it.

Did anyone else have similar symptoms in the early days, and how long does it usually take to kick in and make me feel a little brighter and calmer?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dizzieblonde. Yes, I'm afraid increased anxiety and irritabilty can be side effects of Citalopram. They can also cause upset stomachs and weight gain/loss.

Your doctor has probably started you on a lower dose so that your system gets used to the pills before stepping up to a 20MG dose. Hopefully this will get the worst of the side effects out of the way early. Fingers crossed. Your doctor has probably asked you to see him/her again in about two weeks to a month to see how you're getting on. If you have any concerns about the pills, do get in touch and discuss them with him/her.

You do need to give these pills a few weeks to build up in your system before you start to feel better. Have a look at some of the other posts on this forum, you'll see many people have been through, and are going through what you're feeling so you're not alone!

Good luck and best regards.

• Posted

Thanks Stiltman - Yup, my GP asked me to book another appointment in around 3 weeks time, which seemed odd since he's not usually the sort to encourage you to attend if you don't need to :lol: I assume he'll be looking for any signs they're working, or perhaps it needs monitoring more closely rather than just dishing out repeat prescriptions.

He said I should see an effect within 2-3 weeks, so I'll stick with them for now I think and see what happens. Bit nervous about increasing to 20mg / day next week, but - as you say - hopefully most of the side-effects will be gone by then and my body will be used to it.

• Posted

I was on Citalopram 10mg for 5 days with hardly any side effects,then increased to 20mg and since then I've been innundated with severe nausea 24/7,so I've had to reduce to 10mg,also had terrible tremor and shaking,but I'm trying to persevere with it.got no appetite either.
  • Posted

i have been on 20gram daily for 3 years thought it would stop my nerves but they jus gone worst went 2 dentist other day could not stop shaking he advised me 2 get my nerves investagated n ow i am very worried .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.