First week on sertriline

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello, after fighting depression for nearly 2 years and getting to the point were nothing brings me joy I finally went to the doctor and was put on 50mg sertriline.

I've been on it a week now and although the initial first few days of side effects have worn off I can see no change in my mood, will this improve with more time?

All I feel now is sleepy and withdrawn from wanting to do anything.

Please tell me it gets better 😢

2 likes, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

• Posted

It takes up to 6 weeks for medication to kick in.

50mg  of sertraline is a very low dose

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi

Anti depressants can take around 4 to 5 weeks to work.. if you still don't feel any better go back to your doctor and he will probably up them.. 

Sertraline does make you tired but this will pass as well..

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I have never been on that particular med but it usually takes about 4 weeks to feel any benifits from most antidepressants. Life will get better.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Yes things will improve. I have been taking Sertraline for years. It takes the edge of depression and keeps me on an even keel. Give it a month and if you still feel it's not enough you may need to be on a higher dose. Good luck with that. Hope you are smiling in a few weeks. xxxx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi

Yes as previous replies. Your doctor should've advised it would take 4-6 weeks to take full effect. I start d on 50 then 100 then 150 and that was the right balance for me. For me because of the lead in time it wasn't like I woke up on day and thought "I feel great!" I remember noticing that I didn't feel how I used to and I felt much more energised and focussed at work. Stick in there and ask about the low dose you're on. My doc suggested that 50mg was little more than a placebo effect.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up