Five weeks and two days after a full knee replacement.

Posted , 15 users are following.

still needing pain meds three times a day. Is that normal

also the tightness like a tight band around my upper,part of Knee

1 like, 26 replies

Report / Delete

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

All very normal and still very early days.  Your knee will feel tight for a long time, especially if you have been sitting for a while.  It will also swell a bit after you have been on your feet exercising.  Just remember to ice, elevate and take your meds when you need them.

Concentrate on straightening, as well as bending, as that's really important to getting back to walking normally (I know, as I had probs with both of mine after the first few weeks and am about to go back into hospital to have my 2nd knee opened up again).

Patsy

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Tebow, while I didn't have pain at your stage - I am 8 weeks post op - I definately had the tightness. I think it was very shortly after 5 weeks that I first began to feel a thawing on the upper part of the knee as the nerve numbness starts to recede. As the others say .... elevate the foot/knee, ice it after exercise and stretch. It's a long process!  
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

You must have had yours the same day as me 7th July. I am still on meds at least 3 times a day. My knee is very tight and painful after sitting for a while. But it's the pain behind my knee and back of thigh that is worse. Still haven't slept more than an hour  at a time at night due to waking with pain in calf.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yes I had mine on July 7th 

Are you sitting most of the time? 

I find that if I am up for more than 30 minutes I start to swell and need ice

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I'm guessing the tightness is where the tourniquet was on you during surgery. On ME, that was the worst pain! It felt like someone stabbed me above my knee with a STEAK KNIFE! It just NOW feels OK. I am almost seven weeks post op.

I take Ex. Strength Tylenol Rapid Release capsules, 1000mg. every 8 hours. I write the time I CAN take them on my hand. If I don't need them then, I wait until I do.

Most days I don't need them as often during the day as through the night.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Everyone is different. You take painkillers for as long as you need them, perhaps not the strong ones but downgrade to Paracetamol or Ibuprofen.

​Dont compare your knee with others - it doesnt work. Get well at your pace it isnt a race so take care

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Very normal indeed on all counts. Strengthening the quads helps with the band that I've always referred to as a girdle. My 1st time around it lasted for months. This, the 5th opening of the knee, it was cone within the 1st couple of weeks however; a different set of woes took its place. This is the 1st time I have ever had extreme pain in the shin and ankle. Still no explaination. Just got back from a short shopping trip and icing both knee and ankle. I have PT this afternoon and it will be my 1st outpatient session and maybe my therapist will have a solution.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

hi OFG i had that shin and ankle pain for awhile after my revision my physio put it down to not putting my foot down properly on the ground and favouring the other leg with you that could be your problem as you had the leg imobilized for awhile the leg is weak !!  shin pain for me was the extra rods i think but both did go when the leg strenghtened  it was very tiring
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Very well could be the case. I was in an immobilizer and on minimal weight bearing as the prosthesis had been removed due to staph infection. It was taken out Mar 4th and the new knee inserted June 25th. Again I was put back in an immobilizer with 50% weight bearing for 3 more weeks so no doubt the walk and leg strength is minimal. Just left my 1st round of outpatient PT and my therapist said I had lost over 50% of my leg strength in 6 months. I had been taken low level therapy in rehab and home health but nothing compares to being in the PT gym
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

isnt it unreal how muscles weaken so fast when not used !! as i said before after 3 full openings within a year and a half my muscles were very weak and im just coming up to 12mths post revision and im still doing strenghtening excersises to tone up the muscles in that paticular leg i beleive that the cramps in my calf  was due to weakness in the leg as i went back to sport and im in a big competition in september with a cork team and ive had to play golf (well its a shoter game of golf) its alot of walking up and down hills so its pushing me to the brink ,i love the game but i have to work harder than anyone on the team so leg strenght is so important to me .i was like you when after revision i had to do rehab in gym at a very slow pace and in fairness to gym instructer he kept an eye on me and added new excersises every 6wks and slowly i could do more on my first day at the gym i struggled to step up on the step with the weak leg first i felt sooo old but as wks went on it greatly improved  good luck to you in rehab your doing so well after all you have been through
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Just be careful of anything that creates torque. The twisting motion is very rough on the joint. Running a vacuum, taking leaves, turning on a golf swing, etc. I was allowed to hit 20-30 yd chip shots after six months and after a year, Actually hit a golf ball off the tee. Dr's are different as the people they treat but I've never known anyone that was allowed to do any twisting motion.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

yes i see where your coming from unfortunatly im after commiting to this for a few more weeks when september is over i will be putting away the clubs for the winter and maybe for good the winters here are cold /wet/and windy ,so im never going to play till summertime which is very short in this country i can tell you . but thinking of what you said it could be time for me to give up the game or just play the very odd time for fun but its hard to play for fun when your used to being competitive so maybe put them away for good would be best at the end of september .pitch and putt is as i say a short golf game the longest hole is no longer than 70 meters shortest is 30 meters majortiy of them are 40-55 meters not very long but a twist all the same
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I know the feeling.....I carried an 8-10 handicap for years. Now I need help figuring which end of the club to use. I bought a new set of clubs 2 weeks before the knee blew up on me several years ago and have used them 3 times. One of my grandsons was horsing around with my driver last fall (that wasn't the story I got) and snapped the head off a non repairable $400 driver. I may never get to play again but I'm not getting rid of my clubs. They can bury them with me.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Very normal. I am 16weeks post op and I am still on pain killers and anti-inflammatories. As others have said, don't compare yourself to others. I did and I started a thread 'Really Starting to Worry' as I thought I was doing badly. Spoke to my PT today and she thinks I am doing well. And don't forget we are all different ages on here and all have different levels of fitness.
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up