Five weeks and two days after a full knee replacement.

Posted , 15 users are following.

still needing pain meds three times a day. Is that normal

also the tightness like a tight band around my upper,part of Knee

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thanks everyone for suggestions and thoughts

this entire ordeal has been like no other as it just goes on and on. I did write in a journal how i was doing from one week to the next. That proved to be helpful as I would forget. I could in fact see small improvements, so that in itself was helpful. They were small but at least I was heading in a positive direction.

• Posted

Very, Very normal, part of the course....it will get easier but you must still take meds, exercise and ice, even elevate.....   its a long journey.
  • Posted

I am still unable to reach 90. Degrees. My PT. told me today I was way behind. The knee is still swollen though.,   I would appreciate feedback.  
    • Posted

Hi colito, I too am behind the curve in terms of bend. I am 8 weeks post op and altho we can push the knee to 90 we can't get it past that. The pt tells me he feels real resistance when he applies pressure. I s ee my surgeon early next week and there is talk of mua which I am nervous about as it's taken me a long time to get where I am and I don't want to risk that progress. However from other notes on the forum I see that some people have had plateaus then more bend. Everyone is definitely different. Good luck and I think a journal is a great idea. ? It will serve to remind you of your victories.
    • Posted

Hey Colito, my PT told me the same thing. I am 4 weeks post-op and I am still in so much pain. I do the exercises but when I try to bend my knee, I am in tears. My PT keeps telling me I should be at a 90 degree angle but it hurts so bad. Of course, now I'm frustrated, depressed and I don't know what to do. Even the back of my knee hurts....
    • Posted

This is still early days.

I had my appointment with consultant 6 weeks ofter op and just managed to get to 90 degrees by then. It was an only just I can tell you.

Don't give up it does get better just takes time

Take care and keep in touch

Love Sarah xxx

• Posted

I had TKR over 3 years ago so it is difficult to remember, trying to think back that far.

I would not worry too much about having to take pain killers as long as you are able to bend and straighten the knee more and feel you are improving.

It does get better.

Take care

Sarah

• Posted

I can bend to 90 degrees no sweat when I am sitting, but for the life of me I cannot do when I am laying down and my PT bends my knee. Today is one month since the surgery. He told me I am behind schedule and totally discouraged me. I can climb stairs and can bend somewhat when walking sans cane.  He has now given me a new routine:  I gave to bend leg backwards and put it on the chair while staying straight. Just about died of pain last night. 
    • Posted

A pox be on him and his house. That's shameful being negative with such a delicate and unpredictable recovery program. Just keep on keeping on. Slow and steady. Hydrate....lots of water every day. Slow the excercising down so you are moving through each movement, holding. When you walk remember heel, toe bend the leg to the max. You'll look funny but you will stretch the soft tissue and improve the bend. Keep working on straight so you can eventually eliminate the limp. Stay positive. Scroll back through some of my posts and you will see some excercises that have really helped me. Keep medicating, excercisingicing and elevating. Tell your therapist your going to put your cane where the sun don't shine if gets negative with you again. On the other hand, tell him to give up quality excercises that will help you
    • Posted

You are a man of TRUE WORDS!

Much of what I read that is SUPPOSED to be THERAPY better classifies as ABUSE!

There is NO NEED to cause HURT and TERROR! I do NOT respond to so many of these "practices"!

It does NOT have to be like that. Praise and encouragement ALWAYS produces better results.

LOVE your cane comment!

• Posted

Hi Tebow, I had a PKR 5 weeks ago and am still experiencing lots of tightness around my knee, I can't bend it very well either because of the tightness and pain. Trying really hard with the exercises but they leave me exhausted and in tears.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.