Five weeks post op and my problem is tight and sore thigh muscles. Bout hamstrings and quadriceps.

Posted , 9 users are following.

Any exercise seems to increase the pain and tightness. I can't lower myself down a stair using the operated led due to sever lateral joint line pain

Seem to be at a standstill

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Unfortunately that's part of the healing process. That's why the use of pain meds effectivly prior to therapy and ice and elevation post therapy is so important. You have to go through this phase so the muscles and other soft tissue are thouroughly and carefully streatches so they properly heal. Be sure and drink fluids to what may seem the excess. Properly hydrated tissue heals faster and more through my than dehydrated. Your Dr's may not have discussed the process as many don't but you can expect a year getting through this. I've been through this 5 times and its never the same and I can guarantee you, its not as easy as Dr's make you believe it will be.
    • Posted

Thanks. I may have slacked off some on my fluid intake
    • Posted

good advise,  everyone should go to youtube and watch surgery, this will help undrerstand pain!!
  • Posted

Hi Tom, Are you taking painkillers and icing your knee and resting? When the pain gets too much when exercising be kind to yourself and rest. Try again the next day and sometimes you find you can exercise more. I found if I got the pain under control, then I could exercise. Try to drink more water too as being hydrated helps too. I am 8 weeks now and feeling a lot better but I take each day as it comes. My problem is trying to sleep at night but I am improving now. Hope this helps. Best wishes Jannette
  • Posted

We all seem to have days like this from time to time.

Hi Tom

Just do gentle stretches for a day or two and a bit of walking until it settles down. Check utube for post op exercises that strengthen hamstrings and gluts. Nothing too strenuous. I had a bad day yesterday so eased up a bit. Much better today.  It will come right and you will get there.  Don't me disheartened.

Ann

• Posted

Hi Tom, I felt very similar at 5 weeks and decied to have some private physio sessions, first one was like a breath of fresh air to me, she managed to ease the aches and help me with my bend, 2nd one was a killer, 3rd one I felt nearly human again, 4th one the aches of musles and hamstring has nearly subsided. I am now contiualling once a week and at 7 weeks have turned the corner, obvisouly not out of the woods as healing as you now know takes lots of time.

Good luck on your journey, we all take different twists and turns and somethings work for one person but not the nexts its about your own route.

• Posted

Come down the stairs backwards.  You still have to bend the knee, but using the muscles in a different order makes the effort easier.  If you do it in an exaggerated style, you will make the muscles work just as hard.  When you can comfortably come down this way, try the normal way. (Make patience your new best friend)
    • Posted

That's exactly what I did & have now gradusted to coming down sidewards - next step - coming down properly! I have 26 steps in my home, so it's been a real battle!
    • Posted

Be careful coming down sideways.  It's a different movement altogether and you could put your hip out..  Try coming down putting your bad leg first.  If you do it slow enough you  can concentrate on how you are bending your knee.  26 steps, goodness, that is a long way (specially backwards). How about half backwards, which you can treat as a warm up, then the proper way forwards; albeit slower, with great care.  You are doing a great job, just by persevering, that is half the battle won.  Don't lose heart. You have a physical mountain in your house, and you have it sussed, just be careful as I assume you do not have any crampons;-)
    • Posted

That could be why my left hip (same side as the revision TKR is giving me some aches & pains then. I am almost turned full ways on now, but there is quite a tug on the leg (going up too, I can really feel the pressure - does that ever go?). The house is on 3 levels, with 6 steps, then a dog-leg, another 6 etc etc, the top one is the 8 stepper! I haven't been able to do stairs at all since the 1st TKR in late Oct 2014, that's why I am having so much difficulty after the revision (late Oct 2015). It's been a nightmare 16 months lost of my life - but this time I feel I'm going to get there! Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.
    • Posted

It was misaligned by 6mm - the ultra sound radiologist measured it after 4 months of hell & me insisting on a 2nd opinion. The guy that did it (caught for DD or DUI depending on if you are UK or USA - 5 days after my op. & pleaded depression) measured it off the results & said it was just over 5mm (the max. accepted misalignment). Luckily the 2nd opinion surgeon thought it wasn't mechanically right either, so put me down for a revision with him. It wasn't mechanically right - he said when he opened me up it was extremely loose, & would never have worked. However, you have to wait a year. The leg has to go through the horror of having the pins etc chipped out & have to be as strong as they can be & completely healed from the 1st one. I had the revision done one year to the day. Onwards & upwards!!
  • Posted

5 weeks is still quite early days. Unfortunately it is a long recovery period but hopefully it will be worth it in the end.  Hang in there.

This is a very good idea to try coming downstairs backwards.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.