Flair up !

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, haven’t been on forum for a while ,I have had a very good 5 months of relatively pain and trouble free, now the dam thing has raised its ugly head again ,being as I was diagnosed 1 year ago and this is my first flare up,I am not sure wether to go doctors or is this normal for flare ups to occur and I must stick it out.? Need some help or reassurance.thank you.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Did they give you antibiotics las time? It’s always a good idea to go back to the dr. Do you have a fever?
  • Posted

There are a lot of tummy bugs going around at the moment - so it could just be viral gastroenteritis.

Where is your tummy pain and how severe is it on a scale from 0 to 10?

Do you feel ill? Do you have a fever?

• Posted

Thank you Ben, I don’t think it’s a tummy bug,pain is about a 5 .i don’t feel to bad at the moment, hoping I can deal with this on my own without doctors and hospital.x
  • Posted

It really depends do you have fever,pain,bleeding,mucusy stools? I have sometimes had anti biotics and other times have just taken paracetamol. Start a very bland diet and cut out all fibre. Perhaps phone the GP for some advice. I was diagnosed 4 yrs ago and have had only 3 flare ups even though I cut nothing out of my diet. But it’s possible to have a flare up when you least expect it. Hope you feel better soon. 
    • Posted

Hi, I don’t have a fever and pain is bearable at the moment,I have been very constipated last few weeks as I don’t eat a lot of fibre, I had to take some Dulcoease to help,not to sure if all this started something off,I do have some bleeding but I hope this will settle down again,I suppose I must accept that  it can flare up anytime. Hoping I can stay away from doctors and hospitals.thank you for your reply .x
    • Posted

You are not suppose to use laxatives when you have diverticulitis. You need to increase your fiber add a fiber supplement like benefiber and a Stool

Softener and maybe a probiotics once you get thru this.  Constipation is the number one thing to avoid if you want to prevent recurrence and possible perforation 

• Posted

Hi Patricia

Yes being constipated hasn’t helped and sure this has contributed to your flare up. You won’t necessarily have to see a Dr you know your body and just start a bland diet and see how it goes. My first episode was whilst on holiday abroad wiih low pains and passed blood clot! I didn’t have a colonoscopy until a month later at home and the consultant said it had healed by itself. At that time I had no antibiotics or anything as didn’t know what the problem was. So you don’t always necessarily need anti biotics. However if you start feeling feverish or really ill I would definitely contact your GP.  When you are over this flare up do try and keep from getting constipated and make sure you have enough fibre in your diet. 

• Posted

Thank you for takeing the time to answer me ,I am not in pain it’s just the bleeding , I hope it will clear up soon.
  • Posted

I have the same problem from time to time l am trying to eliminate anything that might cause me a flare. Try a liquid diet for a few days and if you get a temperature or feel much worse go to gp. I take fybogel to stop constipation and soften my stools as when I'm constipated I get a lot of pain. So far l have managed to avoid antibiotics

• Posted

Thank you for your concern,I am certainly going to try and get over this flare up myself,without Dr. or hospitals.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.