Flare up

Posted , 6 users are following.

i am now on the 10th day and second course of anti biotics for a diverticular flare up

i have had this dreadful complaint for many years now and it seems each flare up is worse than the last and needs more medication to help

any one tried anything to help prevent it there are lots of articles on the internet but nothing telling me how to try and prevent it

this time I have have rectal bleeding,dreadful pain,bloating,alternate  constipation and diahoreaha,low mood,insomnia generally feeling really ill

i am Female,67,retired,active

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi i have just wrote this for my wife we has had this around 20 years ,and some flares ,was told i would have to have a bag fittered not impressed .did not go with the op ,you need a high fiber diet ,i have servere diverticular ,i had a polop removed 4 years ago and under the cancer screaning program .This last time too high risk for camra to check .so had form of xray.i take fybergel or latalose eveyday try and  alternate .when the pain start to be getting bad ,the tight twisting pain ,if out and about i take spasmol this helps to relax my bowel .Often stops or gives me time to get home .The pain is awfull ,like labour pains puts you to floor sick and sweats ,The spasmol has helped . taking the fibergel ect keeps bowel movments better .hope this has helped
    • Posted

Thanks so much for your reply and helpful suggestions

i too have had polyps removed on two occasions 

i will ask my doc about Fybogel as I had it prescribed years ago when I had my first flare up and as you say it may help now 

I do eat a healthy high fibre diet most of the time

as you say the pain is dreadful so unless your unfortunate enough to have it you don't know ...

thanks again

• Posted

just tried to send foods that affect my wife but gone to be moderated. not sure why.hope you go on ok .it is not nice seeing someone suffer like this 
    • Posted

How very strange 

I do hope your info comes through eventually 

• Posted

my wife has had this for over 20 years ,they wanted to oparate which ment she would have a bag on for the rest of her life ,She said no and stuck with it .Times can be bad to hell and been admitted to hospitail .someone told her about spasmol and gave her a couple ,these really worked it relax the bowel when in spasam ,she will take a heat bag and rest .when you cannot do this  it still helps ,also breathing like you do when having a child .it has helped to get to a near toilet .we know not always possible ,but if you are out and you feel some of the symptons early and take a smasmol try relax and breath ,this has got her out of some difficults .

she has fibogel and lactilose and alternates them to her needs but takes ever day .she asked re foods told fiber good but had to learn the hard way .just a few foods that upset her .nuts only 1 or 2 and not ever day as they build up .no peanuts. coconut small amounts ,chocolate,rich food .cooked cheese ,white onions ,large meals ,coffee,strawberrys ,fresh cream .everone is diffrent ,when something does not like her she knows within 30 min ,stess can also onset .it was explainded that the pockets can burst ,if then goes into your stomach cause 

• Posted

Any reaction to peanut butter, or just whole peanuts?
    • Posted

Thankyou for your very helpful info

i also have problems with peanuts  I can never eat them and beetroot in vinegar but not when I cook it myself 

as you say we are all different 

not tried spasmol I will look into it 

and stress I know is my biggest trigger but you can never get yourself ready for that sad

• Posted

I had diverticulitis for 6 years and been through all the meds and fiber speech. Finally went to surgeon and he told me no surgery. He told me to get some Metamucil and you will be fine.

Since that meeting I have had not one flare up and pain free. I take it twice per day.

• Posted

not tried the butter  peanuts but me in hospitail
    • Posted

thats worth noting will writw down thanks
  • Posted

Sally I had diverticulitis for 6 years and been through all the meds and fiber speech. Finally went to surgeon and he told me no surgery. He told me to get some Metamucil and you will be fine.

Since that meeting I have had not one flare up and pain free. I take it twice per day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.