Flare up has been ongoing for two months

Posted , 2 users are following.

i collapsed when I was abroad and spent a week in hospital where the doctor said I had a diverticulitis flare up. I’d been suffering from diarrhoea for a few weeks before I collapsed. I haven’t had a normal bowel movement for the last two months and tonight I’m plagued with stomach cramps and trapped wind. I have been redflagged by my GP and I have an appointment for next week. Generally, I’m low in spirits, sick of soup tho grateful to friends for making it for me. I’m following a low fibre diet while the flare up continues. I just don’t know what to do with myself tonight. I’ve taken Windeze, and drinking peppermint tea. Nothing seems to help. As I’ve never had diverticulitis before I’d appreciate any advice. I was diagnosed a few years ago after a colonoscopy but the file was closed earlier this year as I had had no problems. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jools

Sorry to hear you are suffering, but glad you have an urgent appointment.  I'm guessing you were on antibiotics when in hospital and that usually totally disrupts your normal bowel rythym.  It may be that you need further antibiotics to clear up a lingering infection - I once needed a 2nd course for a really bad flare.  As for the cramps I am prescribed Mebeverine which helps.  Also my friend swears by ginger tea, although I prefer peppermint. 

With a bad flare it can sometimes take weeks, if not months, before you you start to feel better and the pain subsides.  It also takes a long time for your bowels to return to something resembling normal.  I am prescribed a daily stool softener which bulks, softens and helps the passing, to prevent trapped faeces and re-infection.  Sounds like you are following the right diet for the time being.  Once you have settled you may wish to keep a food/lifestyle diary to see if anything triggers symptoms, and then avoid those things. 

You are in the right place to get plenty of help.  I have managed this disease for over 16 years.  Best wishes.

• Posted

THank you very much for your informative and thoughtful reply. It has really reassured me as I was a bit frightened last night. All your advice is very helpful. Appreciate you replying to me. Best wishes to you too.
  • Posted

Hi

Try eating beets. They have helped me. But buy the fresh ones and boil them so they are soft. Hope it helps you!

• Posted

Thank you, Sharon, I haven’t been eating beets recently but will definitely go with your suggestion. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.