Flexible cystoscopy

Posted , 17 users are following.

Due to have a flexble cystoscopy on Thursday as part of investigstion into recurrent prostatitis, just wondered what other peoples experience was of this procedure?

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey there Maddison

I have them 3 or 4 times a year because of a stricture.

The nurse is all way very nice and the doctor is gentle. I have never had a problem

Take care Ken

• Posted

Ken - can you explain the stricture? In other posts you say that you are wide open. Thanks much!

Tim

• Posted

Tim

No problem

My prostate is still wide open from the having the Urolift. The stricture is just before the prostate. It has been really good lately. When I first found out about it.My doctor said that I would have to either have a 12 or a 14 FR catheter because the others are to big if I had to have a catheter put in. I got it from kidney stone surgery. Found it in 2014 had 7 infection and sepsis.

When we first found out he thought he may have to do surgery or we even talked about balloon dilation. But for right now I have to just deal with a tight external sphincter.

All is good in the world. Ken

• Posted

Easy easy - takes less than a minute. If you are lucky you will have a monitor to watch the inward journey - fascinating!

• Posted

Very quick and easy procedure and interesting to watch. Ask questions they are always ready to answer and that gives you an instant diagnosis if anything is amiss.

• Posted

Maddison,

I have had cystoscopy three times.The least painful time was when they inserted lydocaine into the urethra first. They insert the lydocaine then let it set for 10 minutes or so before starting the cystoscopy. Make sure they do this before they start.

The fear of the procedure is worse than the actual procedure.

Thomas

• Posted

Maddison,

I have had cystoscopy three times.The least painful time was when they inserted lydocaine into the urethra first. They insert the lydocaine then let it set for 10 minutes or so before starting the cystoscopy. Make sure they do this before they start.

The fear of the procedure is worse than the actual procedure.

Thomas

• Posted

It's a good idea to ask the "operator" if they have ever had it done. Depending on the answer you will have some idea of how sensitive they are to your experience of the procedure. My own experience is that it is uncomfortable up to the point the scope reaches your prostate, at that point it becomes very uncomfortable as it passes through but subsides a little after. The discomfort is proportionate to how open yours is. There should be some numbing beforehand but it doesn't reach much beyond the entry point so don't get your hopes up. The key, paradoxically, is to relax. I know, not easy, but I found holding the female Nurses offered hand was actually helpful.

• Posted

I tried hold her hand but she was using it to cover the laughter while see looked at my penis. 😃

• Posted

Good morning

Yes that is very true. The lydocaine gel only works to a point. About the prostate you can feel it more but most of the time it quick and it over before you know it. What everyone is telling you just relax. Your doctor is not trying to hurt you.

Have a good day.....Ken

• Posted

Hello

Uncklefester

It can't be that bad. They are use to seeing the body. When you see one you see them all. I had to do that years ago. 30 years ago I worked in a nursing home for 5 years took care of men and women. Was also a ward secretary for a year.

Do that it helped me in later year. Took care of my parents and my in-laws when they got sick.

The only thing I had to get use to was learning that my friend and neighbor was my Urologist nurse. It was kinda weird the first time she put the gel in. After 4 years we don't have a problem. It's just something we don't talk about.

The procedure is over before you get use to it. Have a good day Ken

• Posted

Hi, Truthmatters,

Right on! Relax, but what or how? My experience: bear down a bit as though to urinate. And, of course, much depends o the "operator"

I wish you good luck and, if you have the time and inclination, please post your experience, good or bad. Warm regards, alan86734.

• Posted

Alan..

Good Morning

Yes it does help to relax. They tell to to lay flat. I never do. I sit more up because I want to watch what is going on. My urologist has never hurt me. Most of the time you will not feel it has the camera goes in. It's when he get to the prostate were you need to relax your body.

You guy's have talked about watching the monitor. For me my doctor has never used the monitor. But I have seen my insides. One time after he did it and was done he asked me if I wanted to see what everything looked like. I said Yes

He held the camera but he put it in the bladder first.

Then he told me to look through the glass and started to pull it out slowly. I saw the inside of my bladder, the prostate and the urethra. He also showed me the stricture I have. I found it all very interesting to see what the insides look like.

I think he did it because I was asking many question and I wanted to know what was going on.

God Bless you all...Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.