flexible sigmoidoscopy next week, help!

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi, I'm 29 years old and started being unwell the week before christmas whilst on holiday. It started with heavy ache on my left side near to my hip which radiated out up to just under my ribs and also into my lower back, it hurt to walk and sitting in certain positions made it worse. I felt bloated, constipated and each time I ate I felt sick and much worse, so gave up eating. After a week or so it settled down a bit and I started gradually eating again and it started up, I was running to the loo after everything I ate with the runs but the next day I'd feel like I needed to go but couldn't!

Saw a locum over xmas who gave me a script for dispepsia treatment, which failed, then saw my own GP who sent off bloods which came back as low iron (9) and a high esr which determined there was inflammation somewhere. Since this I have had \"bouts\" of this and when the pain is really bad I get cramps in my left leg.

Saw a consultant last week who sent me for bloods and an x ray and I am booked in for a flexible sigmoidoscope next tuesday.

This last week or two have been much better, only a dull ache remains, and im eating one meal a day and managing to keep it in!

I'm so scared, more worried about the enema beforehand and the indignity of it all.

My Gp and the consultant have both mentioned diverticula disease.

Can anyone advise me on this, does this seem likely? Is the test truely horrific? I cant afford to be poorly, I have 3 young children to care for.

But I really have to get to the, ahem, bottom of this :oops:

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes it does seem likely, youll hardly feel the scope going in, no its not too horrible just expect some strong wanting to break wind and going to the loo feelings smile
  • Posted

thanks for the reply, yes that was what I was afraid of, I hate not being in control of my body, especially something so personal and in front of an audience, I guess if I can get this thing diagnosed and its a small price to pay.

They doc did say about being sedated, not sure if I want to go down this route, maybe I should just be brave :roll:

• Posted

If they take it slowly and its well lubricated youll be surprised how uneventful it is, these are just feelings you wont loose control of anything, if they are planning on going around the corner (the splenic flexure) it might be worth having the sedative so you can snooze for that bit smile
  • Posted

I am home from hospital and I can report that although embarrasing and undignified I found the test to be a quick and painless although a slightly uncomfortable experience. The worst part was the air going in but even then it was fine. I managed all this without sedation so feel quite proud of my self tonight!!! Bit strange to see my innards up on plasma screen and the biopsy forceps strangely looked like garden shears!!

I do indeed have diverticular problems and have been prescribed some anti spasm medication and am booked in with my consultant soon. Glad to have an outcome as it could have been far worse. Not sure what will happen now but just chuffed to have a diagnosis and I can stop thinking I am going mad and imagining it.

• Posted

Best wishes smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.