Floater

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi All, I had a Cateract done late 2016 which wasnt as straight forward as i was led to believe having a dropped nucleus and having to have a second operation . I have now developed a single floater should i be worried, has anyone else had this. Hopefully i will get to the Optician tomorrow!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Oh wow.  Were they able to restore your vision after the dropped nucleus?  Do you see the floater in your vision?
    • Posted

Yes fortunately my vision is ok, not a pleasant experience. I can see the floater. When reading about it says it can be the results of various things.
  • Posted

I've had lots of floaters over the years. They all eventually break up and dissolve away inside the eyeball...... but a new one can appear at any time.... or not. There's no treatment for them. At worst, they are an annoyance while they last. However, if you get both floaters AND flashers (look like tiny "lightning strikes" going on inside your eye), you should immediately go see an opthamalogist. That can be the sign of an imminent detached retina.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, how long did they last about!
    • Posted

Sometimes a week or less and sometimes several months. There can be a stretch of a year or two  where I don't have any, or they are so small I don't notice them. Very unpredictable in size, frequency, and duration. This has been going on for 20 years or more. Just part of aging.

• Posted

My wife had cataract surgery almost 3 years ago, on both eyes.  After year one, she developed what was coined by the surgeon, "the largest floater I've ever seen in 22 years".  It took almost 9 months to finally break up and sink.  She developed another huge floater in the second eye almost 2 years after the first one.  It hasn't broken up yet, but given her experience, it will finally go away.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.