flu and sleeping tablets

Posted , 3 users are following.

hey everyone...

this might sounds like a stupid question but has anyone taken sleeping tablets while on flu?? its just cos ive been on it since jan and still get no sleep, an when i do its really restless sleep plus my legs spasm all night so i wake up more exhausted than when i went to bed!

i mentioned sleeping pills to my doctor in feb, but he just looked at me in horror an told me not to take them....thing is, its getting ridiculous now, i need some sleep, im like a zombie!

if i went back to the docs about this, is there something he could give me if im persistant about it? is there something you guys take to help you sleep?

hope one of you can help xxxxx

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I took the occasional temazepam while on fluoxetine, but eventually the lack of sleep got to me and I changed to a more sedative AD (trazodone) which helped me sleep without feeling extra sleepy the next day. Didn't do much for the underlying depression though, so have changed a couple of times since. Perhaps ask your GP about a change of meds the next time you see them? - mirtazapine is another one which is sedative.
  • Posted

Hi Rachel

Sleepnessness is one of the symptoms of depression and a side effect of flu so why your doctor looked at you in horror is a mystery unless they know nothing about this illness.

I'm taking Temazepam at the moment - it's addictive as all chemical sleeping tablets are unfortunately.

Have taken for 6 days on the trot - fell asleep within 10 minutes of going to bed which is a bloody miracle as i used to lie awake for hours. Can't take it now for 4 days and then just a couple of nights a week here on in.

Downside is it makes your head rather woolly the next day - but for 5 hours undisturbed sleep it's worth it.

Most people take Zopiclone. My doctor wanted to prescribe an antihistamine to avoid further problems...whatever that meant.

I would definitely go back to the doc. Lack of sleep is the worst thing - it just makes everything else so hard to do.

Good luck my dear. x :wink:

• Posted

thanks everyone...

think i am gonna go back to the doctors (if i can ever get an appointment) not sleeping is the worst side effect ive experienced on this medication, an ive had a few!!!

im glad to know there are some things i can take an will def be asking him to give me something, after 4 months of no sleep, im a teeny bit crabby lol

thanks again! xxx

• Posted

Hi, everyone,

Just want to say that if u r not sleeping very well, then ask your GP for course of Zopidem. i found this helped me to sleep better without making me feel too drowsy next day. Did leave an awful metalic tast in mouth though. Or you might want to change to a different antidepressant such as mertazipine. This has a sedative effect and knocks u out for the night. However, i found that it increased my appetite and gave me awful bowel spasms. Good luck, hope u find something that works for u. smile

• Posted

Hi!

Today i was prescribed both flu and zolpidem. I was a bit unsure as to whether or not i needed them as i only had a 10 minute appointment with the doc before he prescribed me both. But reading up on the leaflets he also gave me i think it is the right decision.

The problem is i am having trouble sleeping and so need to take the sleeping tablets however i have my final year uni exams. i just wondered how drowsey they make you the day after because i dont want to take them and overlay for a 9am exam :S

Thanks

Becky

• Posted

I take Phenergan @ night, prescribed by doc. It is an antihistamine and does not have the same addictiveness as the usual sleeping drugs i.e temazepam, zopiclone, zolpidem, nitrazepam etc. Only downside, it makes me a bit dopey in the morning, so I need strong coffee to give me a zing. If you haven't tried any sleeping tabs before, why not try herbal remedies to see if they will work, Nytol herbal tablets are sometimes effective for me. :wink:
  • Posted

hey everyone...i have yet another question regarding sleeping tablets!!

the doctor prescribed me Zopliclone last week, he said to take one on alternate nights an if that didnt work, to take 2 on alternate nights.

I tried one an was still awake for ages an still woke up a few times during the night, so i tried taking two the next time i took them an still nothing...

has anyone else found that sleeping tabs do nothing?? if so, what did you do or what else did you try??

thanks guys xxxx

• Posted

i took the z ones before , and couldn't sleep with them just had awful metallic taste in mouth - doctor presricbed them after i became addicted to temazapan and lorezapan (which definately did help me to sleep but are very addictive) , the zop ones are much milder i think , because that was all he would give me and they didn't work . in my personal experience sleeping tablets are a bad idea and add to any parinoia

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.