Flu or Lofepramine

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

I was diagnosed in March with severe PND and was prescribed Flu. When I got home and read all the possible side effects I decided not to take them. My GP then prescribed me Lofepramine instead, but again I read the side effects and didn't take them.

I am now at rock bottom , my mood swings are crazy and my partner will probably leave if I don't make an effort to sort myself out. Also feel guilty for inflicting all this on my 3 young children.

So should I take Flu or Lofepramine? Which is likely to be easier on side effects?

Thanks x

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sian

I don't know anything about Lofepramine. I've been taking flu now for over 4 months.

Fortunately i didn't read the possible side effects in the leaflet until i'd been taking it for some time as i probably wouldn't have started either.

As i've found before, the leaflet includes ALL possible side effects. This doesn't mean you are going to get them all.

I personally had quite a few of them in the early weeks up to about week 6/7.

But, honestly, its worth it. I couldn't carry on as i was in December - don't think i'd be here now if i didn't take that first step to recovery.

It is a very scary thing to do but if you read some of the posts on here you will see that although the journey is long, it will be worth it.

We are all here to offer help, guidance and comfort where we can.

Be strong and take that first step - you might be lucky and not have many side effects.

Let me know what you decide.

Good luck and best wishes. x

• Posted

Hi Sian

Many years ago (14 to be precise) I too suffered from PND. The first drug I was given was Lofepramine. It made me very constipated and did little to improve my mood. After a few months, I asked my GP to let me try Flu and it was the best decision I ever made. Meganpooch is right. never read the information leaflet until you've been on something a while because you will either never take the drug or will convince yourself that you have every side effect. You will undoubtedly have some side effects, usually mild and short lived. Go for it. You are worth it. Be patient you are not alone. Us Welsh girls need to stck together. Keep in touch. :D xx

• Posted

Hi!

Despite reading and googling all the side effects I still took my flu (5 weeks now) and it is the best decision I have made. I was lucky and only got a touch of nausea nothing else but I feel so much better. Even my friends are noticing.

Lelly

• Posted

i agree , take the flu - the side effects are nothing compared to how awful and lonely an illness depression really is , and flu really does help you to feel betta mentally
  • Posted

Hello Sian

I know it's a tough decision to make - introducing something into the body and not knowing how you may react to it. I put off taking anti depressants for so many years, and in the process my partner and children suffered as a result.

I suffered from really bad PND, especially with my two eldest children who are now in their teens. When I see babies or small children I feel so sad because I wasn't able to bond properly with them because of PND. My partner didn't know what to do and was worried about me turning to anti depressants and I had no other support.

Looking back, I think I was afraid to take ADs because of the side effects and fear of not being in control in looking after the children. I only wish I had done something back then to help myself and my family.

Remember that the side effects have to be listed because the drug industry have to save their own backs. Not everyone gets all of the side effects. I'm into week 3 now and have no regrets about taking them but am still waiting for something positive to happen to me. The good thing is that I'm calmer and hopefully the rest will follow.

Please keep us posted in your decision and good luck. smile

• Posted

Hi

I know like the others have said its a difficult decision to make but this is a temporary thing for you it will help you to get better because you are not well.

I am on day 22 of flu and have had bad days with the side effects but I wanted my life back and I ma finally starting to get it. The clouds are breaking and I can sometimes see the sun so to speak.

Flu is not the answer to evrything but it will give you a push up so you can sort yourslef out and you probably will have some side effects but you will get through it I promise. Maddymoo xx

• Posted

Lofepramine didnt give me any side effects, however, it didn't do my depression much good either. I am now on flu and i cant sleep for longer than 4 hours it sucks but everybody reacts differently so try one first and if tht doesnt suit u try the otha and continue doing this until u have found the antidepressant tht works for u.

Best of luck,

Sophx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.