Flu week 4

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am just starting my 4th week on 20mg Fluoxetine. I am still getting stomach upset and thoughts racing/forgetting side effects. No idea how long this will go on. I think there is a very slight improvement in my mood (I have depression and severe anxiety) The doctor says to stick with them for another month then be reassessed. I have made myself try to write down anything that I have found positive each day, even if it is only seeing a bird in the garden or making myself cope with even the smallest task. Yesterday I managed to drive myself to the doctors which was HUGE, first time since November! It is crazy how even the most ordinary things seem unachievable when you are so depressed, just making a phone call is a massive trauma. Does anyone have any advice as to when there might be a real difference or when the side effects wear off? I had to come off Sertraline as the side effects were so appalling and in the past I have also had Seroxat, Citalopram and Venlafaxine - all with varying degrees of success.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alice

Reading your post is like going back in time 8 weeks.....I was exactly the same. I have just come back from Dr who has increased my dose to 30mg. I felt all the things you are feeling and I too had anxiety so bad I didn't/wouldn't do anything as you say even ringing for a docs app sent me into a tailspin.

What you are going through is part of the process, you WILL start to feel better as I did, it took a while and I have just increased my dose as I still have that underlying anxiety but not nearly as bad as I was 8 weeks ago.

Try and be strong take one day at a time and come on here (I did every single day) when you need reassurance. You need patience with this medication as I have also found. I no longer wake up with the anxiety and no longer feel nausea after taking my med. Slow and steady. Talk to people if you can, it helps if even for a short while.

X

• Posted

Hi Alice

These medicines are no quick fix unfortunately - but if you stick with them, get through the awful side effects and keep persevering, they will work for you.  I suffered many, many years from depression and severe anxiety and eventually recovered on SSRI's and have been well ever since.

You need lots of patience.  Side effects can last weeks, sometimes months - but don't be alarmed by this, everyone is different and most find around 4-6 weeks the side effects begin to ease.

After the side effects wear off you'll find the journey towards recovery up and down.  You'll begin to feel better, but will probably encounter many down times too.  Don't make the mistake of thinking the medicine isn't working - it is working, and this seems to be the normal route.  Also don't make the mistake of getting your dose upped, as you'll have to go through side effects again.

These down times will feel just like you're back to square one again.  Just accept this is part of recovery, let it be there, carry on, and you'll find it'll ease off again.  This can happen many times, but if you persevere you'll find the good times get longer and longer until you feel good all the time.

I started to week better around 3 months, but I'd say it took me around 6 months before I felt completely at ease.

Recovery is so very slow, and so very slight that you hardly notice it happening.  Little changes (like you being able to drive to the surgery) are all positive results.  Keep on with the medication, through everything that's thrown at you, and you'll get there.

Its always 2 steps forward, 3 steps back .... 

K xx

• Posted

Typo ...... feel better, not week better confused
  • Posted

Hi Alice

I'm on day 29 and like you I've been through the wars

My only real concern now is insomnia

I started waking 2-3 hours before I get up

At 6:30am

Today was the earliest so far at 2:30am

Sometimes there's the morning anxiety

Episodes some lasting longer than others

I was prescribed amitriptayline 10mg

To take at night to try and combat

The early waking so far I've not seen an improvement 6 days on it now so I may

Need to give it a bit longer

I've had gd days and have noticed an improvement in my mood so I know somethings happening , just need to iron

Out the insomnia asap lol

Keep us informed of your progress

As will I

Regards daz

• Posted

Despite getting very little sleep, I got up this morning feeling a lot better, This lasted for about 2½ hours before tiredness and odd thoughts flooded back, but it was definitely good to have a short time of comparative normality. I took the tablet at lunchtime yesterday instead of in the morning, and I am gradually working round to taking late afternoon/early evening as advised when I saw the doctor. I did manage to drive to the local chemist yesterday to get my prescription, and will attempt to drive to the post office today if I can face it. Thank you for replying to me, it is good to know that others have had the same sensations and problems. Everything gets so out of proportion when depression and anxiety really set in. I am grateful for any advice along this journey x
    • Posted

Hi Alice

I was the same initially when I started to feel better, I would feel great for an hour then dreadful again, but then I started to feel better for longer & eventually I had good days not hours.

Im just starting my 12th week on flu (4 weeks on 20mg 8 weeks on 40mg) I feel so much better it really is worth sticking with it. I have the odd bad day but in comparison to how I was I can cope with that.

Keep using this site I found it so reassuring to read other peoples posts knowing what I was going through was 'normal' & things can & do get better.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

Take care

Katie x

• Posted

Thanks for the encouragement. I have felt a little better each day and feel it has helped taking them early evening not in the morning. I have made myself get out and do something however tiny most days this week and I can feel that my moods are a bit more normal some of the time. I am so grateful to everyone who has helped me, I think I may eventually get some peace back into my life even though it will be a long road to get there. x

• Posted

This is how I recovery worked for me.  A few hours here and there of feeling good, then half days, periods of feeling down, then more time feeling good.  The good times got longer and longer until it stayed all the time.  :-). I've been well for years now!

K x

• Posted

I had a pretty good day yesterday, but feeling low again today (drizzly rain doesn't help) but I can't expect to feel right all the time yet, it is early days. I am grateful for the encouragement and I am glad things are good for you now.
    • Posted

Mornings were my worst, and often wonder if it was just realisation of yet another day to get through.  By the afternoon or evening I'd feel really good. Weekends used to affect me too, or sometimes a Monday morning.  Sometimes it's change of routine that can upset your body, even though you don't think it would.  I think it took me a good 6 months before I felt completely at ease, and then I continued to improve after that too.

It's a long rocky road ..... but you'll get there ;-)

K xx

• Posted

That's gd Alice

Atleast you've had a couple of gd hours

This shows that your on the right path

Also that you've achieved something by doing a task

Take each day at a time and always remember that tomorrow is another day

Eventually you'll get gd full days and these

Will outnumber the bad as the meds take effect . It can be a long rd but it's worth it

Proven by the gd couple of hrs wink

Regards daz

• Posted

Thanks Daz, it has been good over the last couple of days to have a glimpse of what life should be like. I am feeling more positive even if it is only for a short time each day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.