Flunked my urodynamic test

Posted , 12 users are following.

Got the results from the urodynamic testing I had done last week,  they concluded the bladder is shot and I will need to self catheterize for the rest of my life.....

This is the report.

RETENTION:

Pre- CMG PVR 11 mL post self catheteriation, no record of pre-cath residual.

Post-CMG PVR 767 mL residual

SENSATION/CAPACITY:

*First sensation: 164 mL

*First desire 203 mL

*Strong desire 497 mL

Actual bladder capacity 767 mL PVR

URINE LEAKAGE:

No stress urinary incontinence:

No leakage with cough or Valsalva at 497 mL fill volume

No uninhibited contractions or urge incontinence.

PRESSURE flow studies:

At 497 mL fill volume, no void,

Max pDet 10 cm water pressure,

Max pPAbd 1 cm water pressure--no abdominal straining.

No classic obstruction and no void with elevated residual

ASSESSMENT/CMG findings:

No classic obstruction, no void, positive sensation, large bladder capacity,

Elevated post void residual and large bladder capacity with need for bladder

decompression with catheter.

PLAN:

Instructed him that he is to do regular CIC every 6 hours to keep the urine

residual volume down to 300 mL or below and give him an explanation what today's findings were that his bladder does not work and he retains urine he needs to self catheterize indefinitely.

Was a bit disappointed, have been doing self catherization for a year and was thinking things were getting better. Since the testing I started keeping track of the PVR's again and they were running 500+ ..funny didn't feel that full. I guess I have a nuerogenic  bladder...as suspected

0 likes, 128 replies

128 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

jwrhn, Were you able to void ,natural void when you did the urodynamics test?

frank

• Posted

No, they put 767 cc's in and nothing would come out. I tried for like 10 minutes but zilch...needed to self cath for them to measure the final PVR

• Posted

I agree with Buzz. This 767 cc test is not proving any thing. Many of us will fail. The real estate down there is very crowded. Expanded bladder would push on other organs which in turn will push and pinch on the urethra, shutting off the flow for sure. It's why people have acute retention after drinking too much at once. Hank

• Posted

I agree. I failed that test about 5 years ago. Could not pee after they put about 1000 ml in. I had to go bad, but couldn't. I also have a shy Bladder. They had to cath me to get it out. The Dr diagnosed me with an Atonic Bladder. He suggested putting an interstim device in that would tell my sphincter to open when I pushed the button so I could pee. Also suggested removing any obstruction by surgery to make urinating easier could help.

The interstim thing was scary to me. And the reviews I could find were not good.

So I opted for a procedure. Actually 2 procedures. First the Itind procedure, which provided relief for about three months, then I sort of reverted back. But it did tell me that I could pee normally, that my Bladder wasn't shot. So I had the FLA done in February, which worked great for about 4 months, then started to taper off a little. I am still much better than before the procedure.

Another thing I would like to add, Dr K, who did the FLA, looked at my Bladder on the MRI and said it looked fine, and not Atonic. So the summary, at least for me, is I don't buy that pressure test and results, as it didn't mean anything to me personally. 

I wouldn't succumb to a life of self cathing if I were you without trying to rehabilitate your Bladder, and try a less invasive procedure. My prostate wasn't large at 36 grams, but I did get relief from both procedures I had done. 

• Posted

Prostate size can be deceiving. There are guys with Prostate over 100 who pee like teenagers. Mine is only 30 but a scope revealed that it's position created a significant obstruction and Rezum helped.

The thread owner (don't remember the name) should consider being scoped to see if something non invasive might help. A regular voiding schedule, whether via cath or normal means will probably rehab his bladder at least some. If there is any significant prostate blockage, the combination could well keep him off caths indefinitely and take retention pretty much off the table

• Posted

Actually I was scoped a couple of months ago, there was no obstruction. In my case it makes that the bladder is being affected by my progressive neurological decline. The Doc's  view the results as being confirmatory rather than diagnostic.

As I stated I really don't mind doing CIC. I like the sense of control in being able to empty the bladder whenever I want.  My hope was that CIC would also rehabilitate the bladder as it does for many guys, in my case it doesn't look like that is in the cards but I can live with that.

• Posted

Hi, jwrhn,  Really CIC is not that bad.My uro says it gets harder when you get older. At 87 i'm doing ok with CIC,maybe he means when i'm 100 ha ha.Any way,you said they scoped you,what does that mean?is this a cystoscopy test? I had that,this was painful.

frank

• Posted

It took a couple of years for Jimjames to rehab his bladder, so don't assume you can't.

• Posted

Hi oldbuzzard, Prostate size is confusing. 1 year ago  i was scoped prostate size i was told was 4cm long,with obstructing lateral lobes. One year latter scoped,  prostate size 74cc volume.Question?were you able to have a natural void before you had Rezum?

Thanks

frank,

• Posted

Yes. I would very occasionally need to self cath - like once every 2 or 3 years, but otherwise had classic BPH symptoms. My prostate only measured 30cc but it was definitely restricting my flow, as confirmed by a scope and Rezum result. .
  • Posted

"No classic obstruction" ...

Does it mean you do not have BPH, technically ?

"*Strong desire 497 mL" ..

Does it mean you really have to pee at 497 mL ? Were you able to pee at this volume ?

You did really well in the urine leakage test though.

Hank

• Posted

"Does it mean you do not have BPH, technically ?"

Yeah that's what it means, no BPH, no enlarged prostate, no strictures. What I got is a bladder that don't work. If the MaxPdet is less than 20cc then there is no obstruction.

"Does that mean you rally have to pee at 497 mL ? Were you able to pee at this volume ?"

Yeah, they told me to tell them when I'd normally feel like I could not wait to go, that was at the 497 ml. They then put in another almost 300ml to see if the sphincters would leak, they didn't. Could have told them that because when my bladder gets very full I can never pee and have to self cath. The Max PAbd flat lined at 1cm means the brain is not getting the message from the bladder to open the sphincters and pee..

• Posted

Thanks jw, I found your post is very educational. I think you did 2 things right: 1) Have urodynamics before any procedure and 2) posting your experience here to raise awareness of the fact that procedures may not help if one has bladder problems. 

Re inability to pee with full bladder, even Jimjames who had his bladder rehabed still had this problem sometimes after drinking too much at once. 

Hank

• Posted

Hank

Appreciate your thoughts. I've been in the medical maze for far longer than I can remember. The only thing I have learned is you must be your own advocate and don't blindly trust any medico..

• Posted

Heh jw, do you happen to have diverticula ? I read somewhere that if you have diverticula then the urodynamics won't work. Hank

• Posted

The cystocoppy showed multiple trabeculation and multiple diverticula. From what I understand that is from the long term effects of chronic urinary retention..
    • Posted

Hi jwrhn, How did you find out about trabeculation and diverticula being the cause of chronic urine retention? I had a cystoscopy and the same results were on mine. I have to discuss this with my Urologist.of course i can't see him until Nov 1st.Did your Urologist tell you this?

Thanks,

frank,

• Posted

They did not say that the trabeculation and dirverticula was the cause of the chronic retention. They said the trabeculation and diverticula was caused by chronic urinary retention. From what I understand its common to see both of these in the bladder of someone who has had CUR for many year,  they are what are commonly found in flaccid bladder.

• Posted

jwrhn, Thanks for that info. I can see why now i have a flaccid bladder. Why didn't my URO tell me that?Did they tell you there is something they can do for this problem?

Thanks,

frank,

• Posted

They said CIC is the treatment of choice and it is my preferred method of treating the problem.

I also take Finasteride to shrink the prostate. I'm not sure how much help it is but I don't have any of the side effects that some others get and it has shrunk the prostate to about 45cc's so I'll stay on it.

As I mentioned earlier there are some surgical treatments where they put in a urostomy but there is no way I would ever do that when I can self cath so easily.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.