Fluoxetine 3 weeks in. Still finding it so hard...

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all.

I posted after 5 days to say the side effects were pretty bad, well 3 weeks in not much has changed. Waking up this morning was one of the lowest I've felt in my entire life, the feeling of anxiety was unbearable. I'm not sure how I got out of bed to be honest. Is this honestly going to get better? I don't even know now if the anxiety and depression is real or caused by the meds. I feel so confused.

I've also probably not helped matters by drinking way too much over the last three weeks. I've turned to drink as it helps me relax short term, but I'm fully aware of the effects it has longer term. I've now not had a drink since Saturday night, thought this might have improved things, but if anything it's making me feel worse.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi james

I understsnd completely.  Id say I probably felt the worst at 3wks. I am wk 11 now and am so much better probably from wk 6 onwards. Bit by bit side effects have eased one by one with only a few still hanging round to annoy me.

I know its crap but just take it a day at a time, keep busy and distracted if possible. It will get better!  When are you next back at drs? If anxiety is too much they may offer something to help in the short term, just keep them informed of how you're feeling so they can monitor your progress.

Unfortunately these feelings are a normal part of the recovery but nothing more. Hope it all passes soon for you. You can get better.

Take care

Vix

• Posted

hi james,

i joined this forum as my teenage daughter became ill with depression, she is now week 9.  initial side effects were awful until week 5 ish, shaking, anxiety, ect, from week 8 that all seems to have gone, she just has sleep problems and sweats at night left. everyone is different, but the drinking really wont help, one it can react with the tablets, 2, alcohol is a depressent in itself,

my advice would be to stop all the drink, talk to your gp, like vix said, if the anxiety is that bad, he can give you something for it.  there are many strange side effects, and this forum and the support from people helped us so much, it made us realise the side effects were part of the process, and they would get better. at one point my daughter seemed to have a different side effect each day, hang on in there, and make an appointment to chat to your gp. xx

• Posted

Hi James

I agree exactly with Vix and Karen.  The side effects do linger quite a bit but I'd imagine you're nearly through the worst.  It's very normal to feel like that - it always gets worse before it gets better.  The anxiety and depression are real, but the meds heighten it to start with unfortunately, but I promise you they will start to ease.  Just hang on and take each day as it comes.  This is how recovery works.  Coming out the other side is so worth it all.

Drinking ..... well you said yourself it's not a good idea, and of course it isn't.  Yes drink does ease the pain and numbs everything, but you'll dig an even deeper hole for yourself.  Exercise is a good way to help, and though it won't make the side effects to away yet, it'll help somewhat.

This will all ease.  Keep persevering and keep in touch here.

Weve all been through it xxx

• Posted

Thanks all. I did speak to my GP about the anixety, but he didn't offer anything to help - other than telling me it should subside as the meds kick in.

And I do know about the drinking, but it's tough. As I mentioned, I haven't touched a drop since Saturday but today has so far been the worst yet I think. I feel a bit out of my mind.

I've so much going on in mypersonal life that I just can't get a grip on what's real and what isn't. I never thought life could be this dificult. And I know I have to wait, but I'm dreading the next hour, never mind the next day, week, month...

• Posted

It's really tough isn't it.  I never thought I'd get depression and didn't really know what it was til it hit me.  It the most crippling illness I've ever had and often seems a lonely one too.  Thankfully people here are good for support.

Know what you mean about how a drink relaxes you - I've done it myself when days were real bad, and woken with a bad head, feeling worse.  :-(  

I know exactly how you feel.  Each hour is painful, let alone thinking of having to wait to recover.  I recovered on this medication and couldn't believe it - and I'd had depression and anxiety for many years too.

Its a painful journey, and at the moment you can't see it ever ending ... but it will.  This medication will start helping in time, it's just waiting for it.  Very difficult indeed as we so want this torture to end now, and the last thing we have is patience.

K xx

• Posted

Aww James, it should start to improve soon, my daughter's reality was really shook up, 

Well done on not drinking since Saturday, maybe your body has been relying on the drink? And you have a few side effects of not drinking? 

Try rehydration drinks, we used holland and Barrett effervescent ones,  the ones with No caffeine in. 

Forcing yourself to go for a walk is also helpful. 

We took it hour by hour, at first, go back and ask your gp for more help, and maybe refer yourself for counselling especially for depression. 

Your not on your own on here.  Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.