Fluoxetine 40 mg slow recovery?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I started fluoxetine Nov 14 20 mg then a week later was increased to 40mg

I was hospitized due to

My panic in the mornings, Nausea diarrhea.  Evenings are much better. 

I am working at remaining positive. 

I am seeing improvements  I have to work at it (and am doing a great job and will Contunue to!!! I am getting better!) 

Mornings are a struggle.  Anyone have any words of wisdom?  This is exhausting.  Motivation will be better? 

Any support or words of wisdom would be very much appreciated. 

0 likes, 80 replies

80 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Melinda,

It is pretty tough starting Prozac. I am on day 24 and started on it for panic and anxiety. My mornings are a struggle too and I have crazy insomnia. This is what a user called "BetterDays" described as a time line and it seems to be well accepted:

Week 1: This week can go either way. Some find almost immediate improvement while other see the side effects (see weeks 2-3) after the first day.

Weeks 2,3: These are almost always the most difficult. Anxiety and depression can get worse than before the medication. Side effects kick in, these can include sleeplessness, nightmares, diarrhea, nausea, hot flashes, excessive sweating (especially at night), dry mouth, muscle twitches, overall muscle weakness and pain, zero appetite, and very negative mental outlook. My advice is, take these one day at a time and try not to get discouraged, not every day will be bad and better times are ahead!

Weeks 4,5: Some improvement. The side effects lessen to some point, and there are moments when you start to feel normal. Typically evenings are the best and mornings the worst. Many start playing around with dosage at this point because they are told that the Prozac should be working, my advice: hold the course!

Weeks 6,7: More improvement. Maybe 50% to 70% better than before starting. There are often blips where you feel just terrible for a few days, but not usually over a week. Some side effects lessen, but also you may get new side effects. Hang in there, you are getting ready to turn a corner!

Weeks 8-10: Even more improvement. There still are blips, but they are less severe and shorter, maybe 1-2 days. Not normal yet, but getting better day by day. The side effects are usually 75% or so gone. Light at the end of the tunnel!

Weeks 10-12: Maybe this is wishful thinking for me (I'm not here yet), but this is where most see the best results. Some quotes from this time period: "best in months", "Amazing", "Feel good", "brilliant". Again, this is for the people for whom the prozac did work, not everyone, and for those who stuck to their original dosage. For some, this happens at 7 weeks, for some, 3-4 months. But, from what I have read, 10-12 weeks is the payoff time.

Don't give up.

Dom

• Posted

Thank you Dom, that helps me too.  I just switched from Zoloft, and yesterday was my first day on this.  I’m having a hard time.
    • Posted

What didn't you like about Zoloft Stacey? Weird thing is I was planning to switch to Zoloft if Prozac doesn't work out. Prozac was amazing for years for me, but I stupidly quit cold turkey. Re-starting has been a nightmare but now on day 24 and things are getting a bit better ... apart from the insomnia. The first week was horrible but the Prozac did flip a switch and stop my panic attacks which is pretty amazing. Now it seems to be getting rid of my anxiety too ... but I just can't sleep.

Good luck and make sure you give it 8 weeks or more.

• Posted

Zoloft gave me the worst anxiety starting around week 4.  I was in week 6, and it was so bad I was pacing around all day.  I didn’t have bad anxiety before taking it, so it definitely caused it.  I was having to take Xanax every day just to be able to sit down.  The Dr thinks this would be better.  Not everyone gets that bad of anxiety as a side effect, my Dr says it is common and it would have gone away eventually, but could be weeks more.  I would wake up in the middle of the night in a panic attack.  Apparently, the worse the side effects, it seems like the better you are responding to the medicine.  It is just so hard to go weeks and months like this.

• Posted

Hello Stacey, Prozac has massively reduced my anxiety already. I never had anxiety before I quit Prozac the first time around, but happy to report that it is taking care of it. I'd never had a panic attack before either. Prozac killed those dead in around a week.

Love the idea that because my side effects have been awful then I am a top candidate for getting fixed. Wishing you a very fast recovery. We've all just got to fight it through knowing there is sunshine at the end of all of this.

• Posted

Hi Melinda.. all I can say is keep going, your doing really well, Prozac is soooo slow to work, but in the end it does, I’m on 60mg now and doing really well.. mornings always seem the worse, I take my med in the morning, so then I get a good day..

And you being positive will help you over the symptoms of this med, that’s a good way to look at it, as the more you dwell on it the worse you will feel, think your looking at around 10/12 b4 things really settle at its best, we are all different so may be sooner for you, as your so positive..

Good luk chic, and I hope all settles down for you very soon big hug 🤗x

• Posted

I can’t believe I found you guys.  I really needed this. I feel so alone.  I just want to feel better.  I’m so glad to know there are successes.  I am feeling better but it’s slow.   

I have felt like this for 8 weeks.  I’ve only been on it for about 4 weeks.  Each day is such a struggle.  I am trying to stay positive.  

Thank you for your replies.  I really need them.  

• Posted

Hi!!!

I’m about 3 1/2 weeks in to flu after switching over from Paxil. It has not been easy to say the least. For me right now, mornings are hard and I have a nervous stomach on and off all day long which makes eating difficult. I am trying to remain as positive as possible and I keep telling myself that it will take time for these meds to adjust to my system and start working. I am so glad I found this site as it has helped me understand that I am not alone in this! You are not alone either!  Please reach out if you need someone!!

Kati

• Posted

Are you sleeping okay Kati? I am 24 days in so 3 1/2 weeks too. Things are improving but I so need some sleep. This Prozac is so slow but we'll all get there eventually.

Dom

• Posted

Is there a way to pm each other? 

I think if we could support each other it would be great.  

Eating has been so difficult.  No appetite at all.  

It will get better.  IT WILL!  

I’m not sleeping great either sad 

• Posted

Did you figure out how to pm someone? If so, I'd like to be included. I just switched from citalopram to Prozac. Day 3 at 40 mg and am struggling. Increased anxiety, can't eat, can't sleep, just miserable. I could use a support group.

Erin 

• Posted

I fall asleep fine but I wake up super early with a knot in my stomach and anxiety. I’m hoping this Will wear off soon. Are you having trouble falling asleep or are you waking up?
    • Posted

Hi Erin,

I just switched also, but from Zoloft (Sertraline.). It’s day 2 and I’m feeling worse also.  The end of the first day I started feeling really depressed.  I could use a support group too.  This is really hard.

• Posted

Kati,

I'm having the same problem. I fall asleep ok but wake up anywhere between 2:00am and 4:00am in a panic and can't go back to sleep. It's miserable!!! Plus, I can't nap during the day. It sucks!!!

Erin 

• Posted

I'm here if you need to talk. It's a real struggle. It shouldn't be this hard but right now I'm having trouble just making it through the day. I have round the clock anxiety. It's terrible! 

• Posted

That’s what I had on the Sertraline (Zoloft.). The Dr said it would go away, I had to take a 1/2 Xanax to calm the panic.  I was taking it at night, he says take the Prozac in the morning.  
    • Posted

I take the Prozac in the morning too... I also take xanax to help with the panic. Then all I want to do is lay in bed. Do you still have increased anxiety with Prozac? 
    • Posted

This is my second day on it, so far it’s no where near the anxiety I had with the Zoloft, but I’m thinking maybe once it builds up in my system the anxiety will be back.  The Dr said I wasn’t starting over with the side effects by switching, so maybe I’m through the anxiety.  I was on the Zoloft for 5 weeks 3 days, then nothing for 3 days, then this for 2, so I’m almost finished with week 6.  I’m hoping it gets better from now.  I am feeling more positive today.  I think we really need to give it like 12 weeks to fully see if it is working.
    • Posted

How long were you on the Citalopram?  Your side effects sound exactly like how 

I was on the Zoloft.  

• Posted

I was on citalopram for almost 5 weeks. I had the same side effects, increased anxiety so we switched to Prozac which I've been on before and it helped.  Right now my anxiety is still really high throughout the day and I wake up at 4:30 every morning with major adrenaline rushes and massive anxiety. 

• Posted

Hello Kati,

I am having trouble falling asleep but even  more staying asleep. I'm on day 25 and had less anxiety when I got up today so that is an improvement. Will go back to doctors about sleep but doubt they will give me anything. I was very anxious in the mornings at the beginning, but almost nothing today. It does get better for sure.

• Posted

Hi longhorn I too was on zoloft now prozac third week. Stress makes it harder. Really need support as well.
    • Posted

We will get through this... that's what I keep telling myself. There has to be a light at the end of this tunnel. Have you been on Prozac for 3 weeks?

• Posted

Yes 3 weeks 20mg. Its hard people don't understand how difficult it is. I have road trip this weekend with my family. I dont feel so excited about it. Just want to stay home.

• Posted

I understand that feeling. It's really hard. I'm struggling with feeling like a totally different person. Used to be happy, outgoing, and pretty much took care of everything around the house and now I'm barely functioning. Had to take time off work and rely on my husband to take care of a lot. It's terrible. Do you have anxiety? Or just depression

• Posted

Yes I also have depression and axiety.how about you.
    • Posted

Depression and anxiety with OCD (intrusive thoughts). Those are the worst!!!!
    • Posted

Hi kati I. Am also on third week. Lots of anxiety specially mornings stomach problems. Poor apetite. Diarrhea. Im also taking ativan every 8 hours and somewhat helps w the anxiety. But not much.
    • Posted

I was ok around week two but around last Thursday until now anxiety has been bad!! I’m also on clonazapam and have been for years, I take it twice a day, at the moment it’s not helping a whole lot. I’m hoping the flu starts working and the side effects lessen soon and by what everyone has been saying it will get better!!!

Thinking of you!!!

• Posted

My Dr says that side effect will go away eventually.  It’s hard to get through it.  It seems to be better on this than the Zoloft.  I didn’t think I could make it another day on that.  I could not get it to go down day and night.  It was weird too because it was on like week 4 when it was really terrible.  The Dr also said if the side effects are bad that means you are responding to the medicine.  I guess that’s good to hear.  I would take the Xanax as needed to get through it.   If it gets bad I’m going to take it.  I’m trying to keep busy.
    • Posted

Hi Clay,

I have a road trip with family coming up too.  Last week I didn’t think I could make it.  I switched from Zoloft after 5 weeks to Prozac.  It’s been 3 days now. I think I’m doing better, too soon to tell.

Stacey 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.