Fluoxetine 5 weeks and No Relief

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been on Fluoxetine now for five weeks coupled with the B vitamin. I don't know that I'm ever going to feel well. I'm having the hardest day today, shakey/trembling and afraid. I am tearful; almost in hysterics at times and feel I could jump out of my skin. I tried to challenge myself today by going outside for the first time in awhile...facing my fears and my eyes couldn't focus. I just feel so unstable. I've been on meds for eight months now; all failed and making me worse. I was fine before taking any and wish I had never taken them. I feel I'll never be functional again. Some say keep staying on it; it takes months while others say five weeks is too long not to feel well. Please help. I see my doctor in a few days. I don't want to change b/c I feel some progress in that it's lessened my derealization some but heightened my overall feelings of being afraid. 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kim. You are not alone. What you are describing is treatable so don't panic. What dose are you on? This might sound odd but if things are getting worse that is often a good sign.

• Posted

Thank you...I'm on 40mg for five, starting six weeks....today,, just felt so off...I feel like I'm not even a part of the world.

• Posted

Hi Kim,

We can definitely all relate. It's really terrifying going through all the side effects and feeling so fearful and disconnected. I'd say to definitely give it a couple more weeks. You've come this far! it might really really be worth it just sticking it out a bit longer.

• Posted

Thank you....I'm worried b/c I took Lexapro before this and stayed on it for almost twelve weeks with the same results....This is just terrifying. Some days I feel I can just escape myself-it's so uncomfortable.

• Posted

You're feeling progress, don't minimalize that. But I'm glad your seeing your doctor so you can share all of this with him/her. Hang in there

• Posted

Thank you Ron...I sure don't feel like this is progress though; feel so alien....like everything is foreign and odd feeling...my moods are so strange too...I just start crying out of nowhere...inconsolable and no relief...I never feel at ease. I did try to get outdoors some today but felt off...eyes were bleary in the sunshine....I can't adequately describe these feelings but I know they aren't right. The pompous doctor I'll be seeing does nothing any good...questions me with riddle type questions instead of seeing the desperation and suffering I've endured. I have to get back to life and work for my son and I'm so worried. I hope you're doing better than me.

• Posted

Hi Kim,  you're doing so well and have come so far,  try to give at least a couple more weeks!  I know it's horrendous but I'm sure you will start having the odd good moments soon, then minutes, hours...!  I went through the stage of uncontrollable crying,  I still cry now but it's good to let it all out!  Just remember we're all here for you & you're not alone in this! Xxx

• Posted

Thank you Chris....I just wish this would all level out; I'm not sure I'll ever feel well again. Today, I feel so low and apathetic; even to exist sometimes seems difficult...not that I'd hurt myself but this is the hardest, most difficult thing and feels I've ever endured. I appreciate your support.

• Posted

I know Kim, it's like torture!  I agree with you about it being the most difficult thing we can go through!!  It's horrendous,  but I'm sure soon you will be through this and enjoying life again! Xxxx

• Posted

Thanks Chris...do you feel that even though we're having problems, the med will eventually work or is this just prolonging agony, staying on a med doomed to fail? I talked with a fb friend who said it took her a year to find the right med/dosage...now she feels great...I wish that were the case here.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.