fluoxetine and tamoxifen

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi All,

I havent posted for a while as life has been a struggle dealing with cancer and depression.

My husband ( were separated but still close) has just 6 months left and its tearing me apart.

I have dealt with my cancer and tried to move on and secure a future for my children but now I have found out that taking flu cancels out the effects of tamoxifen, which means I am at higher risk of reacurrant breast cancer. :shock:

I just dont know what to do now...I need antidepressants but I dont want cancer again sad

I have been through so much and I thought that I could at least see the light at the end of a very dark tunnel as flu is helping me but now I dont know :?

I feel as if I am back to square one :cry:

sorry for wittering on but I feel so scared and confused

I hope you are all well xxx

NikkiM

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

hi nikkim

sorry i dont have an answer to your question , but i just wanted to say that i am so sorry , here are some :hug: for you

take care

mum2jord

• Posted

hi Nikki :cheerup:

so sorry to hear about your multiple troubles, you sure are 'in the wars' Nikki :?

however, where did you see that fluoxetine cancelled out the effects of tamoxifen ?? :huh: as you know, i'm no doctor but i've had a dig about on the web and the American Cancer Society has this to say about it quote :-

\"Because the enzyme responsible for converting tamoxifen to its active form varies among individuals, endoxifen was found to be lower in some women than in others. This means that some, but not all, women may metabolize tamoxifen abnormally if they also take antidepressants.

Flockhart said only about 7% of women have the particular genetic mutations that would cause them to have the lowest concentrations of tamoxifen by-products.

But Is the Effect Harmful?

The researchers are quick to point out that they don’t know if this impact on metabolism will actually cause tamoxifen to be less effective.

\"We don't know what effects it has on [breast cancer] recurrence,\" Flockhart said. More studies are under way, but they will take years to complete.

More research is also needed to determine if SSRIs other than Paxil will have the same effect on tamoxifen's metabolism. There is data to suggest that venlafaxine (Effexor) does not interfere with tamoxifen, Flockhart said.

Women who are concerned about combining antidepressants with tamoxifen should talk to their doctor about the possibility of switching to venlafaxine, Flockhart said.\"

as you can see Nikki, it looks like there is a BIG genetic factor in their assumptions (only 7% MAY be affected ), also it looks to me like the jury is still out as regards if there is a contrindication at all between the two drugs :ok: :mrgreen:

i can see the possible catch 22 situation you may be in Nikki, but don't forget SEVERE major depression can be just as life threatening as cancer may be :shock: :wink:

have a word with your doc about your fears Nikki, see what he/she has to say, good luck and take care, try not to worry about it too much :wink:

cheers,

Ken~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ :smooch: :rose:

• Posted

:hug: Thanks for the hugs mum2jord, heres one right back x

Thanks psychochief for the great advice :D

I found out about flu and tamoxifen on the internet while I was browsing for more info.

I read that several antidepressants put me at higher risk of reacurring breast cancer, there were three that were considered moderate to potent and Fluoxetine was one of them. So I am doubling the risk of it coming back.

I am going to ring my GP tomorrow for an emergency appointment as I cant help worrying about it. Even the slightest risk scares me as with my luck at the moment i dont want to take anymore chances.

There are other antidepressants I can take so I will have to have a chat to doc.

The one bit of good news ( I dont get many) is my councilling starts on the 8th of June smile I feel like I have been waiting a lifetime and finally I will get someone to listen and understand me :roll:

In the last 12 months I have had to cope with breast cancer and my husbands bowel cancer, chemo was a living hell which then plunged me into an early menopause. I have chemobrain as my memory is soo bad. My daughters Nan died followed a week later by her grandad. Her dad was killed in a traffic accident when she was 6 years old so that bought back memories and more upset, Now she,s about to lose another Dad.

Now I have to take meds for nerve damage in both legs also from chemo.

So as you can see I need to sort this out.

Many many thanks for the advise :D

oh gosh I,m wittering on again :roll:

hope you are having good times,

NikkiM x :cheerup:

• Posted

Hi NikkiM,

My gosh - you are one strong woman!! Dealing with all that you are - i dont know if there are many people out there who could do the same.

Please speak to your GP - and dont leave until you feel like you have the answers that you need.

Stay strong,

Take care of yourself,

Ambz xxx

• Posted

hi nikki

thanks for the :hug: , as ambz said you are 1 strong woman , its good to hear that you have had some good news hope that it goes ok for you sorry i cant offer you any advice i have just started taking flu so i am new to all this

take care

mum2jord

• Posted

hiya Nikki :cheerup:

bloody hell :shock: what an uber understatement to make, me saying you have 'been in the wars' no wonder you're depressed !! :shock: i take my hat off to you Nikki :zen: i feel truly humbled :peace:

for what it's worth Nikki, you've come through so far in more or less one piece, i just don't see what else could defeat you, i wouldn't like ta fight ya lol and i'm a bloke !! :shock: :wink:

keep trucking Nikki, my prognosis ?? :huh: weeeeeeeeeeell, i'm 110 % certain you will fully recover and eventually have a long and happy life, keep posting Nikki :ok: :mrgreen:

cheers,

Ken ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ :cheers: :rainbow: :bubbly: :rose:

• Posted

smile Thanks everyone for your kind words :D

I feel much better now I,ve let off a bit of steam :D

Sometimes I do feel strong and ready to tackle every bad thing that has happened but most of the time I lock myself away.

I dont go out much as I keep getting panic attacks when I go out of my comfort zone so it is lovely to know that you are all here :wink:

I will let you all know how I get on at the docs tomorrow and when my antidepression meds are changed I hope you dont mind me posting in future.

I will be here to help too as I feel here is where I belong xxx

Sending love to you all xx

NikkiM :cheerup:

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.