Fluoxetine - any one in a similar situation?

Posted , 3 users are following.

A number of years ago I had a breakdown and was put on 30mg fluoxetine with time out from work and counselling.  I recovered and was off the tablets after about a year.  A year later I had a resurgence of anxiety and so was put on 20mg citalopram.  I tried a couple of others, but eventually settled back on the cit for a number of years.  

In January 2018 my anxiety hit me like a truck again.  I was taken of cit and put on fluxoetine, 20 mg for 8 weeks which was then increased to 40mg for a further 10 weeks (where I am now).  I am feeling pretty disheartened by the whole process.  I am back doing CBT and mindfullness, but I have more bad days than good and sometimes work is a real struggle.  I keep doing what people suggest - living alongside the anxiety and doing what feels uncomfortable in order to try and retrain my brain - but I am not finding much relief.  Should I keep persevering with the 40mg fluoxetine?  I have read that it can take up to 12 weeks to see improvements, although my Dr does not agree!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I was on Prozac, quit, then had a breakdown. Tried to get back on and 8 months later I am tapering off and switching. I do mindfulness and CBT too, but the anxiety won't shift and I feel certain it is the Prozac. I also have insomnia now too. I think Prozac is a hard med to get back on, but I do think you need at least 12 weeks the 2nd time around. So sorry you're in this anxiety hole too. I had no anxiety on Prozac at all last time. Does having a breakdown just leave you with a permanently higher level? I'll research that one ...

• Posted

I know it's hard can you go back to cit if it worked for you in the past but I have read that flu can take a number of weeks to work I'm only on 10mg of fluoxetine on day 14 at the moment having ups and downs terrible in the mornings I have been bad for a number of weeks before seeing the dog who put me on sertraline 50mg at first but felt like a zombie after 5 days I stopped then took in hospital with a major panick attack then given venlafaxine but couldn't see tidy with them so now on the flu terrible side effects on and off but I gotta try something try and hang in there that's what I'm trying to do xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.